(1) There is created the Oregon Virtual School District within the Department of Education. The purpose of the Oregon Virtual School District is to provide online courses to kindergarten through grade 12 public school students.
(2) The Oregon Virtual School District shall provide online courses that meet academic content standards as defined in ORS 329.007 and meet other criteria adopted by the State Board of Education. Any person who teaches an online course must be properly licensed or registered as required by ORS 338.135 and 342.173 for a person employed by a school district or public charter school. All school districts and public charter schools may allow students to access the online courses offered by the Oregon Virtual School District.
(3) The Superintendent of Public Instruction may contract with education service districts, school districts, public charter schools, community colleges, state institutions of higher education or any other public entity to provide online courses through the Oregon Virtual School District.
(4) Statutes and rules that apply to other school districts do not apply to the Oregon Virtual School District except as provided under this section or by rule of the State Board of Education. The Oregon Virtual School District is not considered a school district for purposes of apportionment of the State School Fund and the department may not receive a direct apportionment under ORS 327.008 from the State School Fund for the Oregon Virtual School District.
(5) The board may adopt the rules necessary for the administration of the Oregon Virtual School District and shall adopt rules to establish:
(a) The procedure and criteria to be used for the selection of online courses to be offered through the Oregon Virtual School District;
(b) The qualifications of students who may access online courses through the Oregon Virtual School District;
(c) The number of credits for which students may access online courses through the Oregon Virtual School District; and
(d) The student-to-teacher ratio for online courses offered through the Oregon Virtual School District. [2005 c.834 §1]
Note: 329.840 and 329.842 were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 329 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.Section: Previous 329.815 329.820 329.825 329.830 329.832 329.834 329.837 329.840 329.842 329.850 329.855 329.855 329.860 329.875 329.885 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008