As used in this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) “Administrator” includes all superintendents, assistant superintendents and principals in the public schools or education service districts.
(2) “Approved teacher education institution” is one which meets the standards of the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission for preparation of teachers for preprimary programs and grades 1 through 12.
(3) “Approved teacher education program” is one offered by an approved teacher education institution and is so recognized by the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission, after considering recommendations of the State Board of Education.
(4) “Commission” means the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission.
(5) “Educational assistant” means a classified school employee who does not require a license to teach, who is employed by a school district or education service district and whose assignment consists of and is limited to assisting a licensed teacher in accordance with rules established by the State Board of Education.
(6) “Instruction” includes direction of learning in class, in small groups, in individual situations, in the library and in guidance and counseling, but does not include the provision of related services, as defined in ORS 343.035, to a child identified as a child with a disability pursuant to ORS 343.146 to 343.183 when provided in accordance with ORS 343.221.
(7) “Intern teacher” means a regularly enrolled student of an approved teacher education institution who teaches under the supervision of the staff of the institution and of the employing school district in order to acquire practical experience in teaching and for which the student receives both academic credit from the institution and financial compensation from the school district or education service district.
(8) “State board” means the State Board of Education.
(9) “Teacher” includes all licensed employees in the public schools or employed by an education service district who have direct responsibility for instruction, coordination of educational programs or supervision or evaluation of teachers and who are compensated for their services from public funds. “Teacher” does not include a school nurse as defined in ORS 342.455.
(10) “Teaching license” means a license issued under ORS 342.125 or 342.144. [1961 c.439 §1; 1965 c.100 §348; 1965 c.550 §1; 1973 c.270 §2; 1975 c.278 §1; 1981 c.393 §1; 1981 c.469 §5; 1989 c.125 §1; 1993 c.45 §149; 2001 c.653 §4; 2007 c.70 §100]
LICENSING AND REGISTRATION OF TEACHERS AND ADMINISTRATORS
(Generally)Section: Previous 342.085 342.090 342.095 342.100 342.105 342.110 342.115 342.120 342.121 342.122 342.123 342.125 342.126 342.127 342.130 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008