The State Board of Education shall establish by rule procedures to protect the rights of every child with a disability who is eligible for special education and every child who there is a reasonable cause to believe has a disability, including:
(1) Rules providing for the participation of the parents of a child with a disability in meetings regarding the child’s identification, evaluation, individualized education program, educational placement and the provision of a free appropriate public education to the child.
(2) Rules governing the procedures for the appointment of a surrogate for the parent and other rules necessary to protect the special educational rights of the child, which shall include, but need not be limited to, rules applicable whenever:
(a) No parent of the child can be identified or located after reasonable efforts;
(b) There is reasonable cause to believe that the child has a disability and is a ward of the state;
(c) The child is an unaccompanied homeless youth; or
(d) The child reaches the age of majority and has been determined not to have the ability to give informed consent regarding the child’s education.
(3) Rules prescribing mediation procedures, resolution sessions and hearings procedures if identification, evaluation, individual education program or placement is contested.
(4) Rules prescribing when notice of procedural safeguards must be given to the parents or the child with a disability who has reached the age of majority, the content of the notice and the language of the notice.
(5) Rules prescribing standards and procedures for disciplinary actions for behavior or misconduct of a child with a disability.
(6) Other procedural safeguards as required by law. [1979 c.423 §3 (enacted in lieu of 343.077); 1989 c.491 §34; 1991 c.795 §3; 1999 c.989 §10; 2005 c.662 §4; 2007 c.70 §103]Section: Previous 343.140 343.145 343.146 343.149 343.150 343.151 343.153 343.155 343.157 343.159 343.160 343.163 343.164 343.165 343.167 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008