(1) Subject to the requirements of this section, a condemner may enter upon, examine, survey, conduct tests upon and take samples from any real property that is subject to condemnation by the condemner. A condemner may not enter upon any land under the provisions of this section without first attempting to provide actual notice to the owner or occupant of the property. If the condemner has not provided actual notice, written notice must be posted in a conspicuous place where the notice is most likely to be seen. The posted notice must give the condemnerís name, address and telephone number and the purpose of the entry. A condemner may conduct tests upon or take samples from real property only with the consent of the owner or pursuant to an order entered under subsection (2) of this section. All testing and sampling must be done in conformity with applicable laws and regulations. Testing and sampling results shall be provided to the owner upon request.
(2) If the owner of property objects to examination or survey of the property under this section, or does not consent to the terms and conditions for testing or sampling of the property, the condemner may file a petition with the court seeking an order providing for entry upon the property and allowing such examination, survey, testing or sampling as may be requested by the condemner. The court may enter an order establishing reasonable terms and conditions for entry and for any examination, survey, testing or sampling of the property requested by the condemner. Reasonable compensation for damage or interference under subsection (3) of this section may be established in the proceeding either before or after entry is made upon the property by the condemner.
(3) An owner is entitled to reasonable compensation for:
(a) Any physical damage caused to the property by the entry upon or examination, survey, testing or sampling of the property, including any damage attributable to the diffusion of hazardous substances found on the property; and
(b) Any substantial interference with the propertyís possession or use caused by the entry upon or examination, survey, testing or sampling of the property.
(4) If a condemner is required to pay compensation to an owner in a proceeding under subsection (2) of this section, and the condemner thereafter seeks condemnation of the same property, the owner is not entitled to any payment of compensation in the condemnation action that would result in the owner receiving a second recovery for the same damage or interference.
(5) Nothing in this section affects any liability under any other provision of law that a condemner may have to an owner or occupant of property by reason of entry upon or examination, survey, testing or sampling of property. [2003 c.477 §2]Section: Previous 35.105 35.110 35.120 35.130 35.140 35.205 35.215 35.220 35.225 35.235 35.245 35.255 35.265 35.275 35.285 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008