The Chancellor of the Oregon University System shall exercise, under the direction of the State Board of Higher Education, the administrative authority necessary to carry out the policies of the board with respect to the institutions, departments or activities under the control of the board. In carrying out the duties of the chancellor, the chancellor shall:
(1) Act as administrative officer of the State Board of Higher Education.
(2) Maintain a centralized service program for all institutions, departments and activities, including but not limited to, accounting, statistical services, capital construction, management analysis, legal services, academic affairs and educational research.
(3) Collect and compile information and statistics relative to the operation of the institutions, departments and activities of the State Board of Higher Education.
(4) Prepare and submit to the State Board of Higher Education an annual operating budget for all institutions, departments and activities of the board.
(5) Oversee the preparation and submission to the State Board of Higher Education of the biennial budget requests of the institutions, departments and activities for consideration by the board as the budget request to the Governor under ORS 351.090. The chancellor shall provide analyses of the budget requests of the institutions, departments and activities, including in such analyses alternative considerations as may be necessary or desirable for the board in the adoption of its budget request.
(6) Appoint, subject to the State Personnel Relations Law, and with the approval of the State Board of Higher Education, such personnel as may be necessary for the performance of the duties of the chancellor.
(7) Designate, if the chancellor wishes, one or more suitable persons to sign or countersign warrants, vouchers, certificates, or other papers and documents requiring the signature of the chancellor.
(8) Prepare the agendas for State Board of Higher Education meetings and provide an analysis of proposals made to the board, including such alternatives as may be necessary or desirable for their consideration, and make recommendations thereon.
(9) Prepare and submit to the State Board of Higher Education on or about December 31 of each year an annual report in which the chancellor describes the principal activities of the Department of Higher Education during the fiscal year ending June 30. The report shall include a statement of all funds received, the source or sources from which received, the expenditure and disbursement of all funds and the purposes for which they were expended. The report shall contain a statement of the number of students enrolled in each institution, department or activity, the number of degrees conferred, the improvements made and new courses of instruction added, together with a statement showing in a general way the status of all activities and functions of the State Board of Higher Education.
(10) Keep a record of the transactions of the State Board of Higher Education.
(11) Have the custody of all books, papers, documents and other property belonging to the State Board of Higher Education.
(12) Give such instructions as may be necessary to carry out the directives of the State Board of Higher Education and forward them to the various institution presidents and heads of departments and activities.
(13) Provide for meetings of the presidents and principal executives of the institutions, departments and activities, at such times as the State Board of Higher Education may direct, such meetings to be open to any member of the board. At such meetings, the executives of the Department of Higher Education may propose policies or policy changes or statements for consideration by the board and develop recommendations concerning allocations of funds.
(14) Perform such other administrative assistance and consider other administrative matters as the State Board of Higher Education may require. [1971 c.708 §11; 1987 c.158 §62; 1995 c.79 §192]
(Administration)Section: Previous 351.067 351.070 351.072 351.073 351.075 351.077 351.080 351.085 351.086 351.087 351.088 351.090 351.092 351.094 351.095 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008