(1) There is established an Oregon Health and Science University Board of Directors consisting of 10 members. The directors, except for the president of the university, shall be appointed by the Governor and shall be confirmed by the Senate in the manner prescribed in ORS 171.562 and 171.565.
(2) Except for the president of the university, the term of office of each nonstudent member is four years. The term of office of the student member is two years. Before the expiration of the term of a member, the Governor shall appoint a successor whose term begins on October 1 next following. A member is eligible for reappointment for one additional term. If there is a vacancy for any cause, the Governor shall make an appointment to become effective immediately for the unexpired term. The board shall nominate a slate of candidates whenever a vacancy occurs or is announced and shall forward the recommended candidates to the Governor for consideration. To assist the Governor in appointing the student member, the duly organized and recognized entity of student government shall submit a list of nominees to the Governor for consideration.
(3) The membership of the board shall be as follows:
(a) One representative who is a nonstudent member of the State Board of Higher Education.
(b) Seven representatives who, in the discretion of the Governor, have experience in areas related to the university missions or that are important to the success of Oregon Health and Science University, including but not limited to higher education, health care, scientific research, engineering and technology and economic and business development.
(c) One representative who is a student enrolled at the university.
(d) The president of the university, who shall be an ex officio voting member.
(4) Directors must be citizens of the United States. Except for the president of the university, no voting member may be an employee of the university.
(5) The board shall select one of its members as chairperson and another as vice chairperson for such terms and with such duties and powers as the board considers necessary for performance of the functions of those offices. The board shall adopt bylaws concerning how a quorum shall be constituted and when a quorum shall be necessary.
(6) The board shall meet at least once every three months at Oregon Health and Science University. The board shall meet at such other times and places specified by the chairperson or by a majority of the members of the board.
(7) The Governor may remove any member of the board at any time for cause, after notice and public hearing, but not more than three members shall be removed within a period of four years, unless it is for corrupt conduct in office. [1995 c.162 §4; 1999 c.291 §3; 2001 c.123 §4]Section: Previous 353.010 353.020 353.030 353.035 353.040 353.050 353.060 353.070 353.080 353.100 353.108 353.110 353.117 353.120 353.130 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008