(1) This section establishes the procedure for submitting to election a tax levy for any of the purposes stated in ORS 358.820. The governing body of a city:
(a) May order the election on its own resolution; or
(b) Shall order the election when a petition is filed as provided in this section.
(2) A petition filed under this section shall request submission of the tax levy to the city electors.
(3) The requirements for preparing, circulating and filing a petition under this section shall be as provided for an initiative petition in ORS 250.265 to 250.346, except that notwithstanding ORS 250.325 a city governing body shall submit the tax levy question to the electors without first considering its adoption or rejection.
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (3) of this section, if ORS 250.255 makes ORS 250.265 to 250.346 inapplicable to a city, the requirements for preparing, circulating and filing a petition under this section shall be as provided for an initiative petition under the city charter or an ordinance adopted under the city charter.
(5) The notice, time and manner of election shall be governed by the applicable provisions of ORS chapters 246 to 260.
(6) An election under this section shall be held only at the time of a statewide general election. [1983 c.350 §231 (enacted in lieu of 358.830); 1995 c.79 §199; 1999 c.21 §72]Section: Previous 358.740 358.750 358.760 358.770 358.810 358.820 358.830 358.831 358.840 358.850 358.880 358.885 358.900 358.905 358.910 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008