(1) As part of the program established under ORS 367.804, the Department of Transportation may:
(a) Enter into any agreement or any configuration of agreements relating to transportation projects with any private entity or unit of government or any configuration of private entities and units of government. The subject of agreements entered into under this section may include, but need not be limited to, planning, acquisition, financing, development, design, construction, reconstruction, replacement, improvement, maintenance, management, repair, leasing and operation of transportation projects.
(b) Include in any agreement entered into under this section any financing mechanisms, including but not limited to the imposition and collection of franchise fees or user fees and the development or use of other revenue sources.
(2) The agreements among the public and private sector partners entered into under this section must specify at least the following:
(a) At what point in the transportation project public and private sector partners will enter the project and which partners will assume responsibility for specific project elements;
(b) How the partners will share management of the risks of the project;
(c) How the partners will share the costs of development of the project;
(d) How the partners will allocate financial responsibility for cost overruns;
(e) The penalties for nonperformance;
(f) The incentives for performance;
(g) The accounting and auditing standards to be used to evaluate work on the project; and
(h) Whether the project is consistent with the plan developed by the Oregon Transportation Commission under ORS 184.618 and any applicable regional transportation plans or local transportation system programs and, if not consistent, how and when the project will become consistent with applicable plans and programs.
(3) The department may, either separately or in combination with any other unit of government, enter into working agreements, coordination agreements or similar implementation agreements to carry out the joint implementation of any transportation project selected under ORS 367.804.
(4) Except for ORS 383.015, 383.017 (1), (2), (3) and (5) and 383.019, the provisions of ORS 383.003 to 383.075 apply to any tollway project entered into under ORS 367.800 to 367.824.
(5) The provisions of ORS 279.835 to 279.855 and ORS chapters 279A, 279B and 279C do not apply to concepts or proposals submitted under ORS 367.804, or to agreements entered into under this section, except that if public moneys are used to pay any costs of construction of public works that is part of a project, the provisions of ORS 279C.800 to 279C.870 apply to the public works. In addition, if public moneys are used to pay any costs of construction of public works that is part of a project, the construction contract for the public works must contain provisions that require the payment of workers under the contract in accordance with ORS 279C.540 and 279C.800 to 279C.870.
(6)(a) The department may not enter into an agreement under this section until the agreement is reviewed and approved by the Oregon Transportation Commission.
(b) The department may not enter into, and the commission may not approve, an agreement under this section for the construction of a public improvement as part of a transportation project unless the agreement provides for bonding, financial guarantees, deposits or the posting of other security to secure the payment of laborers, subcontractors and suppliers who perform work or provide materials as part of the project.
(c) Before presenting an agreement to the commission for approval under this subsection, the department must consider whether to implement procedures to promote competition among subcontractors for any subcontracts to be let in connection with the transportation project. As part of its request for approval of the agreement, the department shall report in writing to the commission its conclusions regarding the appropriateness of implementing such procedures.
(7)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, documents, communications and information developed, exchanged or compiled in the course of negotiating an agreement with a private entity under this section are exempt from disclosure under ORS 192.410 to 192.505.
(b) The documents, communications or information described in paragraph (a) of this subsection are subject to disclosure under ORS 192.410 to 192.505 when the documents, communications or information are submitted to the commission in connection with its review and approval of a transportation project under subsection (6) of this section.
(8) The terms of a final agreement entered into under this section and the terms of a proposed agreement presented to the commission for review and approval under subsection (6) of this section are subject to disclosure under ORS 192.410 to 192.505.
(9) As used in this section:
(a) “Public improvement” has the meaning given that term in ORS 279A.010.
(b) “Public works” has the meaning given that term in ORS 279C.800. [2003 c.790 §§4,4b; 2007 c.531 §13]
Note: See note under 367.800.Section: Previous 367.735 367.740 367.745 367.750 367.800 367.802 367.804 367.806 367.808 367.810 367.812 367.814 367.816 367.818 367.820 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008