The board of directors has the following powers and authority, which are not exclusive but are a general outline of powers to be construed liberally:
(1) To examine, supervise, order, construct, direct and control the repair, construction, maintenance and reconstruction of all the roads and highways within the district, except primary and secondary state highways and other highways under the exclusive jurisdiction of the Department of Transportation, to the end that such roads and highways shall be kept in the best condition and state of repair possible within their power, authority and the financial condition of the district.
(2) To levy and collect assessments as provided in ORS 371.500 and 371.505.
(3) To have surveys, estimates and plans made for improvement, maintenance and reconstruction of the roads of the district.
(4) To request the county court of the county in which the district is situated to provide to the district the services of the county engineer for the work of the district, and, if the county court does not provide for such district a duly qualified engineer, registered by the state, who has had not less than two years’ experience in the construction and maintenance of roads and highways, to employ a qualified engineer registered by the state, who has had not less than two years’ experience in the construction and maintenance of roads and highways, until such time as the county court may comply with the request of the district.
(5) To designate roads within the district for construction, improvement or repair, to request the county court of the county in which the district is situated to provide the right of way for the roads and to construct, repair and improve the roads in accordance with the plans formulated by the engineer employed by the directors. If the board of directors certifies to the county court that funds are available to defray the cost of acquiring such rights of way and the construction, improvement or repair of the road, the county court thereupon shall acquire the necessary right of way and proceed with the necessary construction, repair or improvement at the expense of the road assessment district.
(6) To contract under ORS 366.572 (1) or 366.576 with the approval of the county court of the county in which the district is situated.
(7) To disburse by order signed by the president and the secretary the funds of the district in payment of the expenses of the district or for the costs of road improvement, maintenance or reconstruction.
(8) To sue or be sued in the name of the district.
(9) Any and all authority and power necessary to carry out the particular powers and purposes of ORS 371.405 to 371.535.Section: Previous 371.450 371.455 371.460 371.465 371.467 371.470 371.472 371.475 371.480 371.485 371.490 371.495 371.500 371.505 371.510 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008