When a highway, portion of a highway or highway related structure is designated as an historic and scenic highway under ORS 377.100, the Oregon Transportation Commission and the Department of Transportation:
(1) Shall provide for the rehabilitation, restoration, maintenance and preservation of those features of the highway or structure that have historical, engineering, recreational, scenic or tourist related significance, whenever prudent and feasible.
(2) May consult with the State Historic Preservation Officer, state historic organizations and other appropriate groups or organizations to determine how to best rehabilitate, restore, maintain and preserve the significant features of the highway or structure.
(3) In all highway planning and funding considerations, shall provide for the continuance of the significant features of the highway or structure, whenever prudent and feasible.
(4) As the commission determines appropriate, may arrange for and provide for posting of signs, consistent with ORS 377.700 to 377.840, 810.200 and 810.210, to inform the traveling public of the location and significant features of the highway or structure.
(5) Shall not dismantle, destroy, abandon, significantly transform or sell the highway or structure or any portion thereof or take any other action that will adversely affect the preservation of the highway or structure as an historic and scenic highway when it is prudent or feasible not to take such action.
(6) May provide for bypass highways to divert damaging traffic from use of the highway or structure or provide other means of limiting or diverting use of the highway or structure by damaging traffic.
(7) Are directed to seek and may accept and use for the purposes of this section and ORS 377.100 contributions, gifts, grants and moneys from any source, public or private.
(8) May hold hearings that have been given appropriate public notification before any significant action is taken relating to a highway, portion of a highway or highway related structure that is so designated.
(9) Shall consider aesthetics and environmental effects when the only alternative to rehabilitation or restoration is to replace a portion of a highway or highway related structure so designated. [1983 c.552 §2; 1985 c.16 §461; 1985 c.260 §2]Section: Previous 377.010 377.020 377.030 377.040 377.050 377.100 377.105 377.110 377.115 377.120 377.125 377.130 377.135 377.140 377.145 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008