veterans organizations to fill vacancies. (1) The Governor shall designate and appoint nine persons, all of whom are war veterans as defined by the laws of this state, who shall constitute the Advisory Committee and who shall act in an advisory capacity to the Director of Veteransí Affairs concerning all matters upon which the director requests counsel.
(2) The representation on the committee provided for in this section shall be maintained by the Governor in making appointments to fill vacancies. When a vacancy occurs, the Governor shall solicit and consider nominations from the executive committees of congressionally chartered veteransí organizations that maintain an Oregon state headquarters. A list of not more than three persons nominated by each executive committee shall be submitted to the Governor within 30 days after the vacancy occurs. Organizations interested in participating in the nomination process shall report the current address of their state headquarters to the Director of Veteransí Affairs. The director shall notify those organizations of any current or anticipated vacancy.
(3) In addition to the other requirements of this section, until such time as no veteran of a period of service as described in ORS 174.105 or a period of service after January 31, 1955, is willing or able to serve, each period shall be represented by at least one member of the Advisory Committee.
(4) When appointing an individual to the Advisory Committee to succeed an at-large member who vacated or whose term of office is expiring, the Governor may consider the names of the persons recommended for appointment by the executive committees of congressionally chartered veteransí organizations that maintain an Oregon state headquarters. Any recommendation for appointment must be received by the Governor within 30 days after a vacancy occurs or not later than 30 days prior to the expiration of a memberís term of office.
(5) The term of office of a member of the Advisory Committee is four years, and a member may be reappointed upon expiration of the memberís term. However, a member of the Advisory Committee shall not serve more than two consecutive terms.
(6) After consultation with the Director of Veteransí Affairs, the Advisory Committee shall select one committee member to act as chairperson of the Advisory Committee, subject to approval by the Governor.
(7) Each participating congressionally chartered veteransí organization shall furnish the director with a copy of its Congressional Charter including any subsequent amendments.
(8) In addition to the other requirements of this section, at least one member of the Advisory Committee shall be a veteran of the Korean conflict and at least three members shall be veterans of the period following the Korean conflict. [Amended by 1959 c.675 §1; 1975 c.603 §1; 1982 s.s.1 c.11 §8; 1991 c.798 §1]Section: Previous 406.080 406.085 406.090 406.100 406.110 406.120 406.130 406.210 406.215 406.217 406.220 406.230 406.310 406.320 406.330 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008