(1) The Department of Human Services shall establish for drug-dependent persons treatment programs that involve:
(b) Detoxification with acupuncture and counseling; and
(c) The supplying of synthetic opiates to such persons under close supervision and control. However, the supplying of synthetic opiates shall be used only when detoxification or detoxification with acupuncture and counseling has proven ineffective or upon a written request of a physician licensed by the Oregon Medical Board showing medical need for synthetic opiates if the request is approved in writing by the parole and probation officer, if any, of the drug-dependent person. The copy of the request and the approval must be included in the client’s permanent treatment and releasing authority records.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, synthetic opiates may be made available to a pregnant woman with her informed consent without prior resort to the treatment programs described in subsection (1)(a) and (b) of this section.
(3) In establishing the programs authorized by subsection (1) of this section, the Department of Human Services may enter into contracts with detoxification programs, physicians licensed by the Oregon Medical Board, acupuncturists, counselors, licensed pharmacies and any agency of this state or a political subdivision in this state to conduct the required examinations and to supply the services used in the programs.
(4) The department shall establish rules of eligibility for the programs authorized by ORS 430.565 and this section, considering such factors as residency, duration of dependency on drugs or controlled substances, failure of previous attempts at abstinence and other relevant factors. The department shall establish reasonable fees for participation in the programs.
(5) Pursuant to ORS chapter 183, the department shall adopt rules governing the administration of the programs authorized by ORS 430.565 and this section. [Formerly 475.715; 1979 c.744 §29; 1991 c.574 §3; 2005 c.264 §22]Section: Previous 430.520 430.525 430.535 430.540 430.545 430.550 430.555 430.560 430.565 430.570 430.580 430.590 430.610 430.620 430.625 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008