(1) Upon receipt of any report of alleged abuse of an adult, the Department of Human Services or its designee shall investigate promptly to determine the nature and cause of the abuse. If the department or its designee determines that a law enforcement agency is conducting an investigation of the same incident, the department or its designee need not conduct its own investigation.
(2) The department or its designee may enter a facility and inspect and copy records of a facility or community program if necessary for the completion of its investigation.
(3) In cases in which the department, its designee or the law enforcement agency conducting the investigation finds reasonable cause to believe that an adult has died as a result of abuse, it shall report that information to the appropriate medical examiner. The medical examiner shall complete an investigation as required under ORS chapter 146 and report the findings to the department, its designee or the law enforcement agency.
(4) Upon completion of an investigation conducted by a law enforcement agency, that agency shall provide the department or its designee with a report of its findings and supporting evidence.
(5) If the department or its designee determines that there is reasonable cause to believe that abuse occurred at a facility or that abuse was caused or aided by a person licensed by a licensing agency to provide care or services, it shall immediately notify each appropriate licensing agency and provide each licensing agency with a copy of its investigative findings.
(6) Upon completion of the investigation, the department or its designee shall prepare written findings which include recommended actions and a determination of whether protective services are needed. Appropriate protective services shall be provided as necessary to prevent further abuse of the adult. Any protective services provided shall be undertaken in a manner that is least intrusive to the adult and provides for the greatest degree of independence that is available within existing resources. [1991 c.744 §5]
Note: See note under 430.735.Section: Previous 430.720 430.725 430.730 430.735 430.737 430.740 430.743 430.745 430.746 430.747 430.750 430.753 430.755 430.757 430.760 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008