(1) Upon receipt of a written application to the state registrar, any adopted person 21 years of age and older born in the State of Oregon shall be issued a certified copy of his/her unaltered, original and unamended certificate of birth in the custody of the state registrar, with procedures, filing fees, and waiting periods identical to those imposed upon nonadopted citizens of the State of Oregon pursuant to ORS 432.121 and 432.146. Contains no exceptions.
(2) A birth parent may at any time request from the State Registrar of the Center for Health Statistics or from a voluntary adoption registry a Contact Preference Form that shall accompany a birth certificate issued under subsection (1) of this section. The Contact Preference Form shall provide the following information to be completed at the option of the birth parent:
(a) I would like to be contacted;
(b) I would prefer to be contacted only through an intermediary; or
(c) I prefer not to be contacted at this time. If I decide later that I would like to be contacted, I will register with the voluntary adoption registry. I have completed an updated medical history and have filed it with the voluntary adoption registry. Attached is a certificate from the voluntary adoption registry verifying receipt of the updated medical history.
(3) The certificate from the voluntary adoption registry verifying receipt of an updated medical history under subsection (2) of this section shall be in a form prescribed by the Department of Human Services and shall be supplied upon request of the birth parent by the voluntary adoption registry.
(4) When the State Registrar of the Center for Health Statistics receives a completed Contact Preference Form from a birth parent, the state registrar shall match the Contact Preference Form with the adopted personís sealed file. The Contact Preference Form shall be placed in the adopted personís sealed file when a match is made.
(5) A completed Contact Preference Form shall be confidential and shall be placed in a secure file until a match with the adopted personís sealed file is made and the Contact Preference Form is placed in the adopted personís file.
(6) Only those persons who are authorized to process applications made under subsection (1) of this section may process Contact Preference Forms. [1999 c.2; 1999 c.604 §1]
Note: 432.240 was adopted by the people by initiative petition but was not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 432 or any series therein. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.Section: Previous 432.205 432.206 432.210 432.215 432.220 432.230 432.235 432.240 432.255 432.260 432.265 432.266 432.270 432.275 432.280 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008