The Legislative Assembly:
(1) Finds and declares that there exists a significant danger to the public health and safety from exposure to art or craft material which contains toxic chemicals. This health risk threatens not only professional artists and craftspersons, but art teachers, students at every educational level, hobbyists and children. Toxic substances may be employed during the course and scope of creating art or craft objects of all varieties.
(2) Finds and declares that present labeling of ingredients and hazards of art or craft material is insufficient to adequately protect the consumers of this state from chronic adverse health effects. Because many persons do not know what toxic chemical substances they work with, proper precautionary actions cannot be taken. Disclosure of toxic ingredients, their possible adverse effects on health, and instructions for safe handling, will substantially minimize unnecessary exposure to excessive risk.
(3) Finds and declares that it is consistent to impose upon those who manufacture, repackage and distribute art or craft material a duty to convey to consumers information about the potential health hazards of the products they manufacture.
(4) Finds and declares that school children are not sufficiently protected by present health laws insofar as materials which may be seriously harmful are not so labeled and therefore children are not properly warned as to the dangers inherent in the use of these materials.
(5) Intends by ORS 453.205 to 453.275 to insure that consumers be provided information concerning the nature of the toxic substances with which they are working and the known and suspected health hazards of these substances and to insure the uniformity of labeling standards, so that materials with similar hazards also have essentially similar labels and to insure that elementary school children are protected by prohibiting the sale of those toxic substances to schools and school districts for use in kindergarten and grades 1 through 6. [1985 c.539 §2]Section: Previous 453.150 453.160 453.170 453.175 453.185 453.205 453.210 453.215 453.220 453.225 453.230 453.235 453.240 453.245 453.255 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008