(1) Pathological wastes shall be treated by incineration in an incinerator that provides complete combustion of waste to carbonized or mineralized ash. The ash shall be disposed of as provided in rules adopted by the Environmental Quality Commission. However, if the Department of Environmental Quality determines that incineration is not reasonably available within a wasteshed, pathological wastes may be disposed of in the same manner provided for cultures and stocks.
(2) Cultures and stocks shall be incinerated as described in subsection (1) of this section or sterilized by other means prescribed by Department of Human Services rule. Sterilized waste may be disposed of in a permitted land disposal site if it is not otherwise classified as hazardous waste.
(3) Liquid or soluble semisolid biological wastes may be discharged into a sewage treatment system that provides secondary treatment of waste.
(4) Sharps and biological wastes may be incinerated as described in subsection (1) of this section or sterilized by other means prescribed by Department of Human Services rule. Sharps may be disposed of in a permitted land disposal site only if the sharps are in containers as required in ORS 459.390 (3) and are placed in a segregated area of the landfill.
(5) Other methods of treatment and disposal may be approved by rule of the Environmental Quality Commission. [1989 c.763 §6]Section: Previous 459.355 459.376 459.385 459.386 459.387 459.388 459.390 459.395 459.398 459.400 459.405 459.410 459.411 459.412 459.413 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008