As used in ORS 459.705 to 459.790:
(1) “Danger” or “nuisance” includes but is not limited to the unpermitted storage of waste tires or the storage of waste tires in a manner that does not comply with a condition of a permittee’s waste tire storage permit.
(2) “Director” means the Director of the Department of Environmental Quality.
(3) “Dispose” means to deposit, dump, spill or place any waste tire on any land or into any waters of the state as defined by ORS 468B.005.
(4) “Private carrier” means a person who receives or generates waste tires and who operates a motor vehicle over the public highways of this state for the purpose of transporting persons or property when the transportation is incidental to a primary business enterprise, other than transportation, in which the person is engaged. “Private carrier” does not include a person whose primary tire business is collecting, sorting or transporting used or waste tires.
(5) “Retreadable casing” means a waste tire suitable for retreading.
(6) “Store” or “storage” means to accumulate waste tires above ground, or to own or control property on which there are waste tires above ground. “Storage” includes the beneficial use of waste tires as fences and other uses with similar potential for causing environmental risks. “Storage” does not include the use of waste tires as a ballast to maintain covers on agricultural materials or at a construction site or a beneficial use such as a planter except when the department determines the use creates an environmental risk.
(7) “Tire” means a continuous solid or pneumatic rubber covering encircling the wheel of a vehicle in which a person or property is or may be transported in or drawn by upon a highway.
(8) “Tire carrier” means any person engaged in picking up or transporting waste tires for the purpose of storage, removal to a processor or disposal. “Tire carrier” does not include a solid waste collector operating under a license or franchise from any local government unit, a private individual or private carrier who transports the person’s own waste tires to a processor or for proper disposal, a person who transports fewer than five tires for disposal, or the United States, the State of Oregon, any county, city, town or municipality in this state, or any agency of the United States, the State of Oregon or a county, city, town or municipality of this state.
(9) “Tire retailer” means any person actively engaged in the business of selling new replacement tires.
(10) “Tire retreader” means any person actively engaged in the business of retreading waste tires by scarifying the surface to remove the old surface tread and attaching a new tread to make a usable tire.
(11) “Waste tire” means a tire that is no longer suitable for its original intended purpose because of wear, damage or defect. [1987 c.706 §1; 1991 c.882 §6; 1993 c.560 §59; 2005 c.654 §25]
Section: Previous 459.650 459.660 459.670 459.680 459.685 459.690 459.695 459.705 459.708 459.710 459.712 459.715 459.720 459.725 459.730 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008