(1) The State Fish and Wildlife Commission may institute suit for the recovery of damages for the unlawful taking or killing of any of the wildlife referred to in subsection (2) of this section that are the property of the state.
(2) The damages referred to in subsection (1) of this section shall be as follows:
(a) Each game mammal other than mountain sheep, mountain goat, elk or silver gray squirrel, $800.
(b) Each mountain sheep or mountain goat, $6,800.
(c) Each elk, $1,500.
(d) Each silver gray squirrel, $20.
(e) Each game bird other than wild turkey, $20.
(f) Each wild turkey, $100.
(g) Each game fish other than salmon, steelhead trout, halibut or sturgeon, $10.
(h) Each salmon, steelhead trout, halibut or sturgeon, $250.
(i) Each fur-bearing mammal other than bobcat or fisher, $100.
(j) Each bobcat or fisher, $700.
(k) Each specimen of any wildlife species whose survival is specified by the wildlife laws or the laws of the United States as threatened or endangered, $1,000.
(L) Each specimen of any wildlife species otherwise protected by the wildlife laws or the laws of the United States, but not otherwise referred to in this subsection, $50.
(3) In any such action, the court shall award to the prevailing party, in addition to costs and disbursements, reasonable attorney fees.
(4) Such civil damages shall be in addition to other penalties prescribed by the wildlife laws for the unlawful taking or killing of wildlife.
(5) Any circuit or justice court has jurisdiction to try any case for the recovery of damages for the unlawful taking or killing of any of the wildlife as provided by this section. [Amended by 1961 c.343 §4; 1969 c.302 §1; 1973 c.723 §32; 1981 c.108 §1; 1995 c.658 §106; 2003 c.98 §1]Section: Previous 496.670 496.675 496.680 496.685 496.690 496.695 496.700 496.705 496.710 496.715 496.750 496.815 496.820 496.825 496.830 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008