As used in ORS 517.702 to 517.989:
(1) “Affected agency” includes permitting agencies, cooperating agencies and commenting agencies.
(2) “Baseline data” means information gathered to characterize the natural and cultural environments of a mining operation site before a mining operation begins.
(3) “Chemical process mine” means a mining and processing operation for metal-bearing ores that uses chemicals to dissolve metals from ore.
(4) “Commenting agency” means any agency that makes recommendations to the State Department of Geology and Mineral Industries or to a permitting agency regarding permit conditions or whether to approve or deny a permit under the consolidated application process established under ORS 517.952 to 517.989.
(5) “Consolidated application” means the single application required under ORS 517.971.
(6) “Cooperating agency” means an agency that has statutory responsibility related to a chemical process mine but that does not issue a permit for the mining operation.
(7) “Environmental evaluation” means an analysis prepared under ORS 517.979 to address specific impacts of the chemical process mine operation to allow affected agencies to develop permit conditions.
(8) “Mitigation” means the reduction of adverse effects of a proposed chemical process mining operation by considering, in the following order:
(a) Avoiding the impact altogether by not taking a certain action or parts of an action;
(b) Minimizing impacts by limiting the degree or magnitude of the action and its implementation;
(c) Rectifying the impact by repairing, rehabilitating or restoring the affected environment;
(d) Reducing or eliminating the impact over time by preservation and maintenance operations during the life of the action by monitoring and taking appropriate corrective measures; or
(e) Compensating for the impact by replacing or providing comparable substitute resources or environments.
(9) “Permitting agency” means an agency that has a separate permitting authority for a proposed chemical process mine.
(10) “Person” means any individual, partnership, corporation, association, public interest organization, the State of Oregon or any political subdivision, board, agency or commission of the State of Oregon.
(11) “Project coordinating committee” means the interagency governmental committee established in accordance with ORS 517.965.
(12) “Technical review team” means the interagency group established in accordance with ORS 517.967. [1991 c.735 §3]
Note: Definitions for 517.702 to 517.989 are also found in 517.750.Section: Previous 517.935 517.940 517.945 517.947 517.949 517.950 517.951 517.952 517.953 517.954 517.955 517.956 517.957 517.958 517.959 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008