(1) To accomplish its purposes, a community forest authority created under ORS 530.606 may issue revenue bonds or other revenue obligations payable from the revenues derived from the repayment of loans to nonprofit corporations whose purpose is to own and operate community forestlands. The issuance of revenue bonds or other revenue obligations is governed by the provisions of this section and is not subject to the prior approval of the electors of the municipality that created the authority.
(2) An authority may issue and sell revenue bonds or other revenue obligations payable as to principal and interest only out of the fund or funds established under this section or other assets of the authority that are pledged by the board of directors to secure the revenue bonds or other revenue obligations. The bond resolution:
(a) Must specify the public purposes for which the proceeds of the revenue bonds or other revenue obligations will be expended and declare the estimated cost of carrying out those purposes.
(b) Must contain covenants and provide for the issuance and sale of revenue bonds or other revenue obligations in a form, amount and manner that the directors determine. In declaring the estimated cost, the directors may include the moneys necessary for working capital, reserves, capitalized interest, the payment of financing and legal expenses, the repayment of advances and the start-up costs.
(c) May provide that community forestlands subsequently acquired by a nonprofit corporation shall be deemed betterments or additions to, or extensions of, the community forestlands, whether or not physically connected.
(d) Must provide for the establishment of one or more special funds under the control of the board or a trustee.
(e) Must obligate the authority to deposit and expend the proceeds of the revenue obligations only into and from the fund or funds established under this section and to set aside and pay into the fund or funds a fixed proportion or fixed amount of the revenues derived from the community forestlands or other corporate activities as the board finds in the best interest of the authority and the payment of its obligations.
(3) A revenue bond or other revenue obligation issued against a fund or funds established under this section is a valid claim of the holder only as against the fund or funds, the proportion or amount of the revenues pledged to the fund or funds and the other assets pledged, assigned or encumbered by the authority to secure the revenue bond or other revenue obligation. Each revenue bond or other revenue obligation must state on its face that:
(a) The bond or obligation is payable from a special fund or funds and name the fund or funds and the resolution that established the fund or funds; or
(b) That the bond or obligation is payable from other assets and identify those other assets and the resolution pledging, assigning or encumbering them.
(4) A pledge, assignment or encumbrance of revenues or other moneys or obligations or other assets made by an authority shall be valid and binding from the time that the pledge or assignment is made against a party with a subsequent claim of any kind in tort, contract, or otherwise against the authority, irrespective of whether the party has actual notice of the pledge, assignment or encumbrance. The pledge, assignment or encumbrance must be noted in the board’s minute book or bond transcripts, which shall be constructive notice thereof to all parties, and neither the resolution nor other instrument by which a pledge, assignment or encumbrance is created need be otherwise recorded, nor shall the filing of a financing statement under the Uniform Commercial Code be required to perfect the pledge, assignment or encumbrance. Revenues or other moneys or assets pledged, assigned or encumbered and later received by an authority are subject to the lien of the pledge immediately without physical delivery or further act.
(5) A revenue bond or other revenue obligation issued under the provisions of this section shall bear the date or dates, mature at the time or times, be in denominations and in a form, either coupon or registered or both, carry registration privileges, be made transferable, exchangeable and interchangeable, be payable in the medium, at the place or places, contain the covenants and be subject to the terms of redemption that the board may declare in the bond resolution.
(6) The revenue bonds or other revenue obligations issued by an authority may be sold by the board upon the terms and conditions and at the rate or rates of interest and for the price or prices that the authority deems most advantageous to the authority, with or without public bidding. The authority may make contracts for future sale from time to time of revenue bonds or other revenue obligations by which the contract purchasers are committed to the prices, terms and conditions stated in the contract, and the board may pay the consideration that the board deems proper for the commitments.
(7) The board by resolution may provide for the issuance of funding and refunding revenue bonds or other revenue obligations in order to take up and refund a series, or portion of a series, of outstanding revenue bonds or other revenue obligations at a time determined by the board. Refunding revenue bonds or other revenue obligations may be sold or exchanged at a price that the board determines is in the best interest of the authority.
(8) A revenue bond or other revenue obligation issued pursuant to this section is a legal security that may be used by any insured institution or trust company, as those terms are defined in ORS 706.008, for deposit with the State Treasurer or a county treasurer or city treasurer, as security for deposits in lieu of a surety bond under a law relating to deposits of public moneys and constitutes legal investments for public bodies, trustees and other fiduciaries, banks, savings and loan associations, and insurance companies. All revenue bonds and obligations and all coupons appertaining thereto shall be negotiable instruments within the meaning of and for all purposes of the law of this state. [2005 c.500 §8]
Note: See note under 530.600.Section: Previous 530.600 530.602 530.604 530.606 530.608 530.610 530.612 530.614 530.616 530.618 530.620 530.622 530.624 530.626 530.628 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008