(1) At least 10 days before any election held under the Irrigation District Law, subsequent to the organization of any district, the secretary of the board of directors shall cause the publication of a notice of the time, place and purpose of the election in a newspaper that is published or distributed within every county in which either the district or a division of the district is located. The secretary shall also post a general notice of the election in the office of the board specifying the polling places of each division.
(2) Prior to the publishing and posting of the notices required in subsection (1) of this section, the board must appoint for each division, from the electors of the division, three judges of election, who shall constitute a board of election for the division. If the board fails to appoint a board of election, or the members appointed do not attend at the opening of the polls on the morning of election, the electors of the division at that hour may appoint a board of election from the group of electors present. In its order appointing the board of election, the board of directors must designate the place within the division where the election is to be held. The board may designate the district office or any other location within the district as the place where the election is to be held. If one location serves as the place of election for more than one division, the board of directors may appoint from among the electors of the divisions a single three-member board of election for the divisions.
(3) Candidates may be nominated for any election in the same manner as candidates may be nominated at the organization election described in ORS 545.041. Openings for the board of directors of an irrigation district shall be advertised in a newspaper of general circulation within the boundaries of the district for which the candidate would be elected or posted in three public places within the district at least 60 days prior to the election. All nominations shall be filed with the secretary of the board not more than 75 nor less than 35 days before the date of the election. In districts having more than 25 electors, a person shall not be elected as a member of the board of directors unless the person has been nominated either by petition or at an assembly 35 days prior to the date of the election.
(4) If, after expiration of the date for nomination, only one qualified candidate has been nominated for the office to be filled, it shall not be necessary to hold an election. The board of directors shall declare such candidate elected as director at the next regularly scheduled board meeting or at a special meeting called for that purpose. The secretary immediately shall make out and deliver to the nominated person a certificate of election signed by the secretary and authenticated with the seal of the board.
(5) The secretary shall cause the names of all persons nominated to be printed on ballots as candidates for the offices for which they have been nominated. [Formerly 545.026; 1999 c.452 §15; 2001 c.257 §2]Section: Previous 545.120 545.122 545.123 545.124 545.126 545.131 545.135 545.137 545.139 545.141 545.142 545.144 545.145 545.146 545.148 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008