(1) A commodity commission shall adopt a budget on an annual basis using classifications of expenditures and revenues required by ORS 291.206. The budget is not subject to review by the Legislative Assembly or to future modification by the Emergency Board or the Legislative Assembly.
(2) A commission shall follow generally accepted accounting principles and keep financial and statistical information as necessary to completely and accurately disclose the financial operations of the commission as may be required by the Secretary of State. In addition, the budget must show the estimated receipts and expenditures by or under the authority of the commission under ORS 576.051 to 576.455 for the fiscal year for which the budget is adopted. The budget also must show the actual receipts and expenditures by or under the authority of the commission for the fiscal year preceding the fiscal year in which the proposed budget is prepared, if any, and the estimated receipts and expenditures by or under the authority of the commission for the fiscal year in which the budget is prepared, if any.
(3) Estimated receipts and expenditures for the fiscal year for which the budget is adopted must be fully itemized and be prepared and arranged to clearly show each item of receipts and expenditures. To the extent practicable, the items of receipts and expenditures must be arranged under major groups or categories that are the same as the most recent classifications of revenue and expenditures established pursuant to ORS 291.206.
(4) The budget shall contain only one estimate for emergency or other expenditures that are unforeseen at the time the budget is prepared.
(5) A commission shall call and hold at least one public meeting upon the proposed budget. In selecting a time and place for a meeting, a commission shall be guided by consideration for the convenience of the majority of the producers of the commodity. At a meeting, any person has a right to be heard with respect to the proposed budget.
(6) At least 14 days prior to the date of a meeting under subsection (5) of this section, a commission shall publish notice at least once in a newspaper of general circulation in this state. The notice must set forth the purpose, time and place of the meeting and state that a copy of the proposed budget is available for public inspection at the place of business of the commission or at another convenient location.
(7) After a budget has been adopted, a commission shall submit to the Director of Agriculture a copy of the budget and an affidavit setting forth the pertinent facts relating to the preparation and adoption of the budget. The director shall examine the budget and the affidavit within 15 days and, if the director determines that the estimated receipts and expenditures in the budget are in conformity with the authority of the commission and other applicable statutory requirements and that the facts set forth in the affidavit indicate that the budget was prepared and adopted in accordance with the law, the director shall certify those determinations on the copy of the budget and make the budget final. If the director determines that the budget fails to meet the requirements in any respect, the director shall immediately notify the commission of the particular failures. The commission shall promptly take all practicable measures to remedy the failures and shall resubmit a copy of the budget to the director for examination. The director shall retain the certified copy of the final budget and make the budget available for public inspection during normal business hours of the State Department of Agriculture.
(8) A commission shall prepare an annual financial statement of commission revenues and expenses and shall make the statement available for public review. A commission shall provide a copy of the statement to the Secretary of State and the department no later than 90 days after the end of the state fiscal year. [2003 c.604 §14 (enacted in lieu of 576.415)]Section: Previous 576.390 576.391 576.392 576.395 576.405 576.410 576.415 576.416 576.420 576.425 576.430 576.435 576.440 576.445 576.450 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008