(1) The certification of varieties of agricultural, cereal grain, flower or vegetable seeds, or of tubers or horticultural plants, for planting purposes as certified seeds, tubers or plants shall be conducted in this state by the dean.
(2) The varieties eligible for certification, the rules and regulations and standards for such certification that will provide for seed of high quality and the official seals and tags shall be determined upon and adopted by the dean.
(3) The dean may establish field inspection fees and charges for inspection and certification in an amount sufficient to cover the cost of such work. The dean may also charge the approximate cost price for tags, ties and seals and make charges covering the cost of field, threshed-seed or bin inspections when such inspections are called for at such times and places as to involve a total expense in excess of the income from the established fees or charges. In all cases the fees and charges shall be fixed at a rate that will cover the approximate cost of the work.
(4) The dean may authorize the inspection and certification of tubers and agricultural, cereal grain, flower and vegetable seeds without the collection of fees when grown in areas not in excess of one acre by members of 4-H Clubs and of the Future Farmers of America.
(5)(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, the dean may enter into agreements with appropriate agricultural or educational agencies of the State of Idaho for the performance of seed certification, testing and analysis services for producers of hard seed in Malheur County.
(b) As used in this subsection “hard seed” means alfalfa, beans, clover, peas, soybean, trefoil, vetch, barley, oats, rye, triticale, wheat, buckwheat, lupine, rape, sunflower, sugar beets, vegetable seed, flower seed and corn.
(6) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, and in addition to the authority granted by subsection (5) of this section, the dean may enter into agreements with appropriate public or private agencies to assist the Oregon State University seed testing laboratory in the testing and analysis of seed samples. [Amended by 1955 c.379 §10; 1995 c.181 §1; 1997 c.354 §1; 2007 c.281 §8]Section: Previous 633.561 633.570 633.571 633.580 633.590 633.600 633.610 633.620 633.630 633.640 633.650 633.651 633.655 633.660 633.670 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008