Oregon Statutes - Chapter 658 - Employment Agencies; Farm Labor Contractors; Farmworker Camps - Section 658.405 - Definitions for ORS 658.405 to 658.503.

As used in ORS 658.405 to 658.503 and 658.991 (2) and (3), unless the context requires otherwise:

(1) “Agricultural association” means a nonprofit or cooperative association of farmers, growers or ranchers that is incorporated under applicable state law and that acts as a farm labor contractor solely on behalf of members of the association.

(2) “Commissioner” means the Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries.

(3) “Crew leader” means the member of a group of workers who (a) acts as spokesman for the group, (b) travels with the group from another state into Oregon and (c) performs the same work along with other group members. A crew leader may transport workers from their local place of residence to their place of employment so long as the crew leader does not perform this service for a profit.

(4) “Farm labor contractor” means any person who, for an agreed remuneration or rate of pay, recruits, solicits, supplies or employs workers to perform labor for another to work in forestation or reforestation of lands, including but not limited to the planting, transplanting, tubing, precommercial thinning and thinning of trees and seedlings, the clearing, piling and disposal of brush and slash and other related activities or the production or harvesting of farm products; or who recruits, solicits, supplies or employs workers to gather evergreen boughs, yew bark, bear grass, salal or ferns from public lands for sale or market prior to processing or manufacture; or who recruits, solicits, supplies or employs workers on behalf of an employer engaged in these activities; or who, in connection with the recruitment or employment of workers to work in these activities, furnishes board or lodging for such workers; or who bids or submits prices on contract offers for those activities; or who enters into a subcontract with another for any of those activities. However, “farm labor contractor” does not include:

(a) Farmers, including owners or lessees of land intended to be used for the production of timber, their permanent employees, advertising media, platoon leaders or individuals engaged in the solicitation or recruitment of persons for dayhaul work in connection with the growing, production or harvesting of farm products;

(b) The Employment Department;

(c) A crew leader;

(d) An individual who performs work, other than recruiting, supplying, soliciting or employing workers to perform labor for another, alone or only with the assistance of the individual’s spouse, son, daughter, brother, sister, mother or father;

(e) Individuals who perform labor pursuant to an agreement for exchanging their own labor or services with each other, provided the work is performed on land owned or leased by the individuals;

(f) An educational institution that is recognized as such by the Department of Education; or

(g) A farmer who operates a farmworker camp, regulated under ORS 658.750, who recruits, supplies, solicits or employs workers only for the farmer’s own operations, and has farmworkers living in the camp who are employed by another on no more than an incidental basis, and the farmer receives no remuneration by virtue of such incidental employment. [1959 c.395 §1; 1961 c.390 §1; 1975 c.502 §1; 1981 c.606 §1; 1983 c.654 §3; 1985 c.314 §1; 1987 c.158 §128; 1991 c.848 §1; 1995 c.73 §1; 1999 c.628 §1]

Section:  Previous  658.215  658.220  658.225  658.230  658.235  658.245  658.250  658.405  658.407  658.410  658.411  658.412  658.413  658.415  658.416  Next

Last modified: August 7, 2008