In addition to any other powers granted by this chapter, the Oregon Medical Board may:
(1) Adopt necessary and proper rules for administration of this chapter including but not limited to:
(a) Establishing fees and charges to carry out its legal responsibilities, subject to prior approval by the Oregon Department of Administrative Services and a report to the Emergency Board prior to adopting the fees and charges. The fees and charges shall be within the budget authorized by the Legislative Assembly as that budget may be modified by the Emergency Board. The fees and charges established under this section may not exceed the cost of administering the program or the purpose for which the fee or charge is established, as authorized by the Legislative Assembly for the Oregon Medical Board’s budget, or as modified by the Emergency Board or future sessions of the Legislative Assembly.
(b) Establishing standards and tests to determine the moral, intellectual, educational, scientific, technical and professional qualifications required of applicants for licenses under this chapter.
(c) Enforcing the provisions of this chapter and exercising general supervision over the practice of medicine and podiatry within this state. In determining whether to discipline a licensee for a standard of care violation, the Oregon Medical Board shall determine whether the licensee used that degree of care, skill and diligence that is used by ordinarily careful physicians or podiatric physicians and surgeons in the same or similar circumstances in the community of the physician or podiatric physician and surgeon or a similar community.
(2) Issue, deny, suspend and revoke licenses and limited licenses, assess costs of proceedings and fines and place licensees on probation as provided in this chapter.
(3) Use the gratuitous services and facilities of private organizations to receive the assistance and recommendations of the organizations in administering this chapter.
(4) Make its personnel and facilities available to other regulatory agencies of this state, or other bodies interested in the development and improvement of the practice of medicine or podiatry in this state, upon terms and conditions for reimbursement as are agreed to by the Oregon Medical Board and the other agency or body.
(5) Appoint examiners, who need not be members of the Oregon Medical Board, and employ or contract with the American Public Health Association or the National Board of Medical Examiners or other organizations, agencies and persons to prepare examination questions and score examination papers.
(6) Determine the schools, colleges, universities, institutions and training acceptable in connection with licensing under this chapter. All residency, internship and other training programs carried on in this state by any hospital, institution or medical facility shall be subject to approval by the Oregon Medical Board. The board shall accept the approval by the American Osteopathic Association or the American Medical Association in lieu of approval by the board.
(7) Prescribe the time, place, method, manner, scope and subjects of examinations under this chapter.
(8) Prescribe all forms that it considers appropriate for the purposes of this chapter, and require the submission of photographs and relevant personal history data by applicants for licensure under this chapter.
(9) For the purpose of requesting a state or nationwide criminal records check under ORS 181.534, require the fingerprints of a person who is:
(a) Applying for a license that is issued by the board;
(b) Applying for renewal of a license that is issued by the board; or
(c) Under investigation by the board.
(10) Administer oaths, issue notices and subpoenas in the name of the board, enforce subpoenas in the manner authorized by ORS 183.440, hold hearings and perform such other acts as are reasonably necessary to carry out its duties under this chapter. [1967 c.470 §50 (enacted in lieu of 677.260); 1975 c.776 §10; 1983 c.486 §34; 1989 c.830 §19; 1991 c.703 §22; 1997 c.792 §25; 2005 c.730 §47; 2007 c.86 §6]Section: Previous 677.255 677.257 677.259 677.260 677.261 677.262 677.263 677.265 677.270 677.275 677.280 677.290 677.300 677.305 677.310 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008