(1) In order for a domestic mutual insurer to engage in a conversion or reorganization as provided in ORS 732.604, the board of directors of the mutual insurer must adopt a plan that meets the requirements of ORS 732.610.
(2) After the board of directors of a mutual insurer has adopted a plan and before the board of directors seeks approval of the plan by the eligible members of the mutual insurer, the mutual insurer shall file the following documents with the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services:
(a) The plan of conversion or reorganization.
(b) The form of notice of the meeting at which the eligible members vote on the plan.
(c) The form of any proxies to be solicited from the eligible members. Proxies must offer the eligible members the option of voting in favor or voting against the plan or abstaining.
(d) Information required by ORS 732.523.
(e) Other information or documentation required by the director.
(3) The director shall approve, conditionally approve or disapprove a plan and other documents submitted under subsection (2) of this section, according to the standards established in ORS 732.626. The director must take such action not later than the 60th day after the director has received a completed filing of the plan and all information requested by the director or not later than the 30th day after the completion of a hearing on the plan, whichever date is later.
(4) At any time before approval of a plan by the director, the board of directors of the mutual insurer may amend or withdraw the plan.
(5) After approval by the director, the plan must be approved by the eligible members of the mutual insurer. Approval by the eligible members is subject to the following requirements:
(a) All eligible members must be given notice of the plan and of their opportunity to vote on the plan. A copy of the plan or a summary of the plan must accompany the notice. The notice shall be mailed to the last known address of each eligible member, as shown on the records of the mutual insurer, not later than the 45th day after approval of the plan by the director. The meeting of the eligible members at which a vote on the plan will occur shall be set for a date that is not earlier than the 30th day after the date on which the mutual insurer mailed the notice of the meeting. If the mutual insurer complies substantially and in good faith with the notice requirements of this section, the mutual insurerís failure to give any member or members any required notice does not impair the validity of any action taken under this section.
(b) The vote required for approval must be conducted as provided in ORS 732.470 and 732.475, except as follows:
(A) Only eligible members may vote on the plan.
(B) An eligible member may vote in person or by proxy at the meeting at which the plan is voted upon.
(C) The plan is approved by the eligible members upon the affirmative vote of two-thirds or more of the eligible members voting on the plan, unless the articles of incorporation require a greater number of affirmative votes.
(6) The plan shall be carried out in accordance with its terms on the effective date of the conversion or reorganization. [1997 c.771 §4; 2001 c.352 §2]Section: Previous 732.597 732.598 732.599 732.600 732.602 732.604 732.605 732.606 732.608 732.610 732.612 732.614 732.615 732.616 732.618 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008