(1) Except as provided in this subsection, when a claim under a health benefit plan is submitted to an insurer by a provider on behalf of an enrollee, the insurer shall pay a clean claim or deny the claim not later than 30 days after the date on which the insurer receives the claim. If an insurer requires additional information before payment of a claim, not later than 30 days after the date on which the insurer receives the claim, the insurer shall notify the enrollee and the provider in writing and give the enrollee and the provider an explanation of the additional information needed to process the claim. The insurer shall pay a clean claim or deny the claim not later than 30 days after the date on which the insurer receives the additional information.
(2) A contract between an insurer and a provider may not include a provision governing payment of claims that limits the rights and remedies available to a provider under this section and ORS 743.913 or has the effect of relieving either party of their obligations under this section and ORS 743.913.
(3) An insurer shall establish a method of communicating to providers the procedures and information necessary to complete claim forms. The procedures and information must be reasonably accessible to providers.
(4) This section does not create an assignment of payment to a provider.
(5) Each insurer shall report to the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services annually on its compliance under this section according to requirements established by the director.
(6) The director shall adopt by rule a definition of “clean claim” and shall consider the definition of “clean claim” used by the federal Department of Health and Human Services for the payment of Medicare claims. [Formerly 743.866]Section: Previous 743.883 743.885 743.890 743.893 743.900 743.905 743.910 743.911 743.913 743.915 743.916 743.920 743.925 743.930 743.940 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008