(1) An insurance producer shall not act as an agent of an insurer unless:
(a) The insurance producer is an appointed agent of that insurer; or
(b) The insurance producer transacts insurance on behalf of another insurance producer who is an appointed agent of that insurer according to conditions and limitations established by the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services by rule.
(2) Each insurer shall maintain a current list of insurance producers contractually authorized to accept applications on behalf of the insurer. Each insurer shall make the list available to the director upon request.
(3) An insurance producer may represent as agent under one insurance producer license as many insurers as may appoint the insurance producer in accordance with this section.
(4) Except as provided in a group contract of insurance under subsection (5) of this section, any person who solicits or procures an application for insurance as an agent of the insurer shall in all matters relating to the application for insurance and the policy issued in consequence of the application be regarded as the agent of the insurer issuing the policy and not the agent of the insured. Any provision in the application and policy to the contrary is invalid and of no effect.
(5) A group contract of insurance and the individual certificate issued pursuant to the group contract may contain provisions stating whether the group policyholder acts as the agent of the individual insured or as the agent of the insurer. [2001 c.191 §16; 2003 c.364 §18]Section: Previous 744.071 744.072 744.073 744.074 744.075 744.076 744.077 744.078 744.079 744.080 744.081 744.082 744.083 744.084 744.085 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008