(1) For the purpose of this section only, and only in the event of a finding of impairment by the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services or of a final order of liquidation, as described in ORS 750.085, any covered health care service furnished within the state by a provider to a subscriber of a health care service contractor shall be considered to have been furnished pursuant to a contract between the provider and the health care service contractor with whom the subscriber was enrolled when the services were furnished.
(2) Each contract between a health care service contractor and a provider of health care services shall provide that if the health care service contractor fails to pay for covered health care services as set forth in the subscriber’s evidence of coverage or contract, the subscriber is not liable to the provider for any amounts owed by the health care service contractor.
(3) If the contract between the contracting provider and the health care service contractor has not been reduced to writing or fails to contain the provisions required by subsection (2) of this section, the subscriber is not liable to the contracting provider for any amounts owed by the health care service contractor.
(4) No contracting provider or agent, trustee or assignee of the contracting provider may maintain a civil action against a subscriber to collect any amounts owed by the health care service contractor for which the subscriber is not liable to the contracting provider under this section.
(5) Nothing in this section impairs the right of a provider to charge, collect from, attempt to collect from or maintain a civil action against a subscriber for any of the following:
(a) Deductible, copayment or coinsurance amounts.
(b) Health care services not covered by the health care service contractor.
(c) Health care services rendered after the termination of the contract between the health care service contractor and the provider, unless the health care services were rendered during the confinement in an inpatient facility and the confinement began prior to the date of termination or unless the provider has assumed post-termination treatment obligations under the contract.
(6) Nothing in this section prohibits a subscriber from seeking noncovered health care services from a provider and accepting financial responsibility for these services.
(7) No health care service contractor shall limit the right of a provider of health care services to contract with the patient for payment of services not within the scope of the coverage offered by the health care service contractor. [1989 c.783 §3]Section: Previous 750.060 750.065 750.070 750.075 750.080 750.085 750.090 750.095 750.100 750.110 750.210 750.220 750.230 750.240 750.250 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008