(1) The Department of Transportation shall provide for issuance of registration plates for a motor vehicle registered under ORS 803.420 (1) or (9)(a), in a manner consistent with this section, to motor vehicle owners who qualify for the plates as Congressional Medal of Honor recipients under subsection (2) this section.
(2) A person who is a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient qualifies for registration plates under this section if the person provides the department with a certificate from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs attesting to the person’s status as a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient.
(3) Registration plates issued under this section shall be considered customized registration plates for purposes of the fee required in ORS 805.250.
(4) The department may not issue registration plates for a motor vehicle under this section if another motor vehicle owned by the applicant has been issued registration plates under this section.
(5) The registration plates issued under this section shall:
(a) Be issued with a unique background design determined by the department;
(b) Be issued with a specific configuration as determined by the department;
(c) Contain the words “Medal of Honor”;
(d) Contain the image of the Congressional Medal of Honor; and
(e) Meet the requirements for registration plates under ORS 803.535.
(6) If there is a transfer of interest in the motor vehicle to which the registration plate under this section is assigned, or if the motor vehicle is totaled and not reconstructed, the motor vehicle owner shall remove the registration plate. The Congressional Medal of Honor recipient may retain the registration plate, but the registration plate may not be placed on any other motor vehicle unless the registration plate is transferred as set forth in subsection (7) of this section.
(7) If the motor vehicle owner qualifies for the registration plates under subsection (2) of this section, the department may transfer registration plates issued under this section to another motor vehicle registered under ORS 803.420 (1) or (9)(a), as set forth in ORS 805.242.
(8) The department shall cancel any registration plates issued under this section if the department determines that the motor vehicle is owned by a person who does not qualify for the registration plates under subsection (2) of this section or that the motor vehicle is not registered under ORS 803.420 (1) or (9)(a).
(9) The department may adopt rules necessary to carry out the provisions of this section. [2007 c.311 §2]Section: Previous 805.045 805.050 805.060 805.070 805.080 805.090 805.100 805.103 805.105 805.107 805.110 805.115 805.120 805.130 805.140 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008