(1) Upon application by an elected official who qualifies under this section, the Department of Transportation shall issue registration plates described under this section to the official for use on the motor vehicle of the person. Registration plates issued under this section may be displayed on the vehicle of the person in lieu of regular registration plates issued under the vehicle code.
(2) The following apply to registration plates issued under this section:
(a) The plates shall be considered customized plates for purposes of the fee in ORS 805.250.
(b) The plates shall be assigned to a specific vehicle.
(c) The plates shall be issued in addition to regular registration plates issued for a vehicle at the option of the applicant.
(d) The plates shall not be transferable from vehicle to vehicle except as provided by the department by rule.
(e) The plates shall be valid for the term of office of the qualifying official. If the person is elected to a subsequent term of office, the department may provide for validation of the plate for the subsequent term by means of a sticker or by any other means the department determines convenient.
(f) The person to whom the plates are issued may retain the plates after the personís term of office, but the plates shall not be valid if displayed on any vehicle while the person is not holding the office for which the plates were issued.
(3) Only the following elected officials qualify for issuance of registration plates under this section:
(a) The Secretary of State.
(b) The State Treasurer.
(c) Members of the Oregon Legislative Assembly.
(d) Members of the Oregon Congressional Delegation.
(4) Nothing in this section applies to or affects the authority of the department to issue distinctive registration plates on vehicles owned by this state that are provided for use of the Governor.
(5) The department shall adopt rules necessary to carry out the purposes of this section. [1985 c.16 §105; 1993 c.741 §131]Section: Previous 805.150 805.200 805.202 805.205 805.206 805.208 805.210 805.220 805.230 805.240 805.242 805.250 805.255 805.256 805.260 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008