(1) The driver of a vehicle commits the offense of driver failure to report an accident if the driver does any of the following:
(a) Is driving any vehicle that is involved in an accident required to be reported under ORS 811.720 and does not, within 72 hours of the accident, complete a report of the accident in a form approved by the Department of Transportation and submit the report to the department.
(b) Is driving a vehicle that is involved in an accident and does not submit to the department any report required by the department that is other than or in addition to the reports required by this section. The department may request a supplemental report if in the opinion of the department the original report is insufficient.
(c) Is driving any vehicle that is involved in an accident required to be reported under ORS 811.720 and does not, within 72 hours of the accident, certify to the department, in a form furnished by the department, that at the time of the accident the person was in compliance with the financial responsibility requirements.
(2) The certification of compliance with financial responsibility required under this section is subject to the prohibitions and penalties for false certification under ORS 806.050.
(3) The reports described under this section are subject to the provisions of ORS 802.220 and 802.240 relating to the use of such reports after submission. Exemptions from requirements to certify compliance with financial responsibility are established under ORS 806.020.
(4) A driver may be required to file additional accident reports with a city as provided under ORS 801.040.
(5) The offense described in this section, driver failure to report an accident, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §577; 1985 c.393 §36; 1993 c.751 §67; 2005 c.195 §1]Section: Previous 811.705 811.706 811.707 811.710 811.715 811.717 811.720 811.725 811.730 811.735 811.740 811.800 811.802 811.804 811.806 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008