As used in ORS 824.200 to 824.256, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) “High speed rail system” means a fixed guideway passenger transportation system capable of transporting passengers at speeds exceeding 79 miles per hour and connecting two or more urban areas, including but not limited to any such system that utilizes or incorporates, in whole or in part, existing rail transportation facilities and any necessary upgrades of or modifications to existing rail transportation facilities.
(2) “Highway” includes all roads, streets, alleys, avenues, boulevards, parkways and other places in this state actually open and in use, or to be opened and used for travel by the public.
(3) “Installation costs,” when used in the context of protective devices, includes costs of acquiring, assembling and rendering operational the device and its attendant controls, circuitry and fail-safe mechanisms.
(4) “Maintenance costs,” when used in the context of protective devices, includes preventive maintenance, repair and replacement of the device and its attendant controls, circuitry and fail-safe mechanisms.
(5) “Protective device” means a sign, signal, gate or other device to warn or protect the public, installed at or in advance of a railroad-highway crossing.
(6) Except in proceedings under ORS 824.236, “public authority in interest” means the state, county, municipal or other governmental body with jurisdiction over the highway crossing the railroad track. In proceedings under ORS 824.236, “public authority in interest” means the county, municipal or other governmental body that has primary zoning authority over the lands served by the crossing.
(7) “Railroad” has the meaning given that term in ORS 824.020, and includes logging and other private railroads.
(8) “Railroad company” includes every corporation, company, association, joint stock association, partnership or person, and their lessees, trustees or receivers, appointed by any court whatsoever, owning, operating, controlling or managing any railroad.
(9) “Unauthorized railroad-highway crossing” means a crossing at grade that is actually open and in use, or to be opened and used for travel by the public, and that has not been authorized under ORS 824.204. [Formerly 763.010; 2005 c.22 §517]Section: Previous 824.102 824.104 824.106 824.108 824.110 824.112 824.114 824.200 824.202 824.204 824.206 824.208 824.210 824.212 824.214 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008