(1) If any tax, or fee in lieu of tax, reported due, or any final assessment made by the Department of Transportation under ORS 825.490, 825.494 and 825.496, including any penalties or charges therein imposed, or any final penalty imposed under ORS 825.950, 825.955 or 825.960, is not paid in full, the department may issue a warrant under the departmentís official seal directed to the sheriff of any county of the state commanding the sheriff to levy upon and sell the real and personal property of the taxpayer found within that county, for payment of the amount thereof, with the added penalties or charges, interest and the cost of executing the warrant, and to return such warrant to the department and pay to the department the money collected by virtue thereof by a time to be specified therein, not less than 60 days from the date of the warrant.
(2) The sheriff shall, within five days after the receipt of the warrant, record with the clerk of the county a copy thereof, and thereupon the clerk shall enter in the County Clerk Lien Record the name of the taxpayer mentioned in the warrant, and the amount of the tax or portion thereof and penalties or charges for which the warrant is issued and the date when such copy is recorded. Thereupon the amount of the warrant so recorded shall become a lien upon the title to and interest in property of the taxpayer against whom it is issued in the same manner as a judgment that creates a judgment lien under ORS chapter 18.
(3) The sheriff thereupon shall proceed upon the same in all respects, with like effect and in the same manner prescribed by law in respect to executions issued against property upon judgment of a court of record, and shall be entitled to the same fees for services in executing the warrant, to be added to and collected as a part of the warrant liability.
(4) In the discretion of the Department of Transportation, a warrant of like terms, force and effect to levy upon funds of the taxpayer in possession of the Department of Revenue may be issued and directed to any agent authorized by the Department of Transportation to collect taxes payable under this chapter, and in the execution thereof the agent shall have all of the powers conferred by law upon sheriffs but is entitled to no fee or compensation in excess of actual expenses paid in the performance of such duty.
(5) The procedures authorized by this section may also be used for collection of any fees and penalties imposed on persons registering vehicles under ORS chapter 826. [Formerly 767.865; 1997 c.275 §29; 2003 c.576 §222]Section: Previous 825.490 825.492 825.494 825.496 825.498 825.500 825.502 825.504 825.506 825.507 825.508 825.509 825.515 825.517 825.550 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008