In establishing the mandatory boating safety education program pursuant to ORS 830.082, the State Marine Board shall:
(1) Set a minimum standard of boating safety education competency. The standard shall be consistent with the applicable standard established by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators. The board may update the minimum standard of competency as necessary.
(2) Create a boating safety course of instruction and examination designed to educate and test for the minimum standard of safety established pursuant to subsection (1) of this section.
(3) Create an equivalency exam that may substitute for taking the boating safety course.
(4) Incorporate volunteer boating safety education programs to the maximum extent possible.
(5) Allow use of commercially provided boating safety courses, provided they meet the standard adopted by the board.
(6) Accept proof of prior completion of any approved boating safety course as meeting the requirement for a boating safety course.
(7) Establish a fee for the boating safety certificate issued under ORS 830.086 that may not exceed $10.
(8) Establish a temporary boating safety certificate that is valid for 60 days and issued in conjunction with a temporary certificate of number for newly acquired boats.
(9) Promote the fact that insurance discounts of 10 percent to 15 percent are widely available for taking a boating safety course that meets the minimum standard established pursuant to subsection (1) of this section. [1999 c.716 §3; 2001 c.104 §311]
Note: See note under 830.082.Section: Previous 830.040 830.050 830.053 830.055 830.060 830.080 830.082 830.084 830.086 830.088 830.090 830.092 830.094 830.096 830.100 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008