(1) A purchaser from a developer may cancel, for any reason, any contract, agreement or other evidence of indebtedness associated with the sale of the timeshare within five calendar days from the date the purchaser signs the first written offer or contract to purchase.
(2) Cancellation, under subsection (1) of this section, occurs when the purchaser gives written notice to the developer at the developerís address. The cancellation period in subsection (1) of this section does not begin until the developer provides the purchaser with developerís address for cancellation purposes.
(3) A notice of cancellation given by a purchaser need not take a particular form and is sufficient if it indicates in writing the purchaserís intent not to be bound by the contract or evidence of indebtedness.
(4) Notice of cancellation, if given by mail, shall be given by certified mail, return receipt requested, and is effective on the date that the notice is deposited with the United States Postal Service, properly addressed and postage prepaid.
(5) Upon receipt of a timely notice of cancellation, the developer shall immediately return any payment received from the purchaser. If the payment was made by check, the developer shall not be required to return the payment to the purchaser until the check is finally paid as provided in ORS 74.2130. Upon return of all payments the purchaser shall immediately transfer any rights the purchaser may have acquired in the timeshare to the developer, not subject to any encumbrance created or suffered by the purchaser. In the case of cancellation by a purchaser of any evidence of indebtedness, the purchaser shall return the purchaserís copy of the executed evidence of indebtedness to the developer, and the developer shall cancel the evidence of indebtedness. Any encumbrance against the purchaserís interest in the timeshare arising by operation of law from an obligation of the purchaser existing before transfer of the interest to the purchaser shall be extinguished by the reconveyance.
(6) No act of a purchaser shall be effective to waive the right of cancellation granted by subsection (1) of this section. After the expiration of the five-day cancellation period, a developer may require a purchaser to execute and deliver to the developer a signed statement disclaiming any notice of cancellation timely and properly made by the purchaser before the five-day cancellation period expired under subsection (1) of this section, that has not been received by the developer. A disclaimer statement executed by the purchaser shall rescind the notice of cancellation. [1983 c.530 §26]Section: Previous 94.826 94.828 94.829 94.830 94.831 94.833 94.835 94.836 94.839 94.840 94.841 94.843 94.845 94.846 94.848 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008