(1) The Department of State Lands may require a person who has not filed a report to file a verified report stating whether or not the person is holding any unclaimed property reportable or deliverable under ORS 98.352.
(2) The department may at reasonable times and upon reasonable notice examine the records of any person to determine whether the person has complied with the provisions of ORS 98.352. The department may conduct the examination even if the person believes it is not in possession of any property reportable or deliverable under this section.
(3) To the extent possible, the department shall enter into agreements with state and federal agencies that regularly examine the records of financial institutions, trust companies, financial holding companies and bank holding companies, as defined in ORS 706.008, and of subsidiaries of such financial institutions, trust companies, financial holding companies and bank holding companies. Under the agreements, the state and federal agencies shall examine the records of the financial institution, trust company, financial holding company, bank holding company or subsidiary to determine compliance with ORS 98.352. If a state or federal agency does not enter into an agreement with the department under this subsection, the department shall conduct the examination of the records of financial institutions, trust companies, financial holding companies and bank holding companies to determine compliance with ORS 98.352.
(4) If a holder fails to maintain the records required by ORS 98.354 and the records of the holder available for the periods subject to ORS 98.302 to 98.436 and 98.992 are insufficient to permit the preparation of a report, the department may issue a finding that requires the holder to report and pay the amounts that the department reasonably estimates from the report and available records. The department shall include in its finding a notice substantially similar to that specified under ORS 183.415. Additionally, the notice shall include information about opportunities to resolve disputes through a collaborative dispute resolution process.
(5) Any holder subject to examination under this section may request a hearing regarding the findings issued by the department. The department shall conduct a hearing under this subsection as a contested case proceeding in accordance with ORS 183.413 to 183.470. [1957 c.670 §25; 1983 c.716 §22; 1993 c.694 §20; 1997 c.480 §§1,1a; 2001 c.377 §41; 2003 c.272 §6]Section: Previous 98.390 98.392 98.396 98.400 98.402 98.406 98.410 98.412 98.416 98.418 98.420 98.422 98.424 98.426 98.430 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008