A tower may not:
(1) Tow a motor vehicle without providing to the owner or operator of the motor vehicle the information required under ORS 98.856 in the manner required under ORS 98.856.
(2) Charge more than a price disclosed under ORS 98.856.
(3) Solicit towing business at, or within 1,000 feet of, the site of a motor vehicle accident, unless the tower tows the motor vehicle pursuant to a prenegotiated payment agreement between the tower and a motor vehicle road service company.
(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, park a tow vehicle within 1,000 feet of a parking facility for the purpose of monitoring the parking facility for towing business.
(b) A tower may park a tow vehicle within 1,000 feet of a parking facility for the purpose of monitoring the parking facility for towing business if the tower provides notice of the hours during which monitoring occurs on signs that are clearly readable by an operator of a motor vehicle in each parking stall or at each entrance to the parking facility.
(5)(a) Provide consideration to obtain the privilege of towing motor vehicles from a parking facility.
(b) Provision of:
(A) Signs by a tower under ORS 98.862 does not constitute consideration.
(B) Goods or services by a tower below fair market value constitutes consideration.
(6) Require, as a condition of towing a motor vehicle or releasing a motor vehicle or personal property in the motor vehicle, that the owner or operator of the motor vehicle agree not to dispute:
(a) The reason for the tow;
(b) The validity or amount of charges; or
(c) The responsibility of the tower for the condition of the motor vehicle or personal property in the motor vehicle.
(7) Hold a towed motor vehicle for more than 24 hours without:
(a) Taking an inventory of all personal property in the motor vehicle that is visible from the exterior of the motor vehicle; and
(b) Holding the personal property in the motor vehicle in a secure manner.
(8) Accept cash as a method of payment for towing services unless the tower provides exact change not later than the end of the business day following receipt of payment. [2007 c.538 §3]Section: Previous 98.818 98.830 98.835 98.840 98.990 98.850 98.852 98.854 98.856 98.858 98.860 98.862 98.864 98.991 98.992 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008