Sec. 26.013. STUDENT DIRECTORY INFORMATION. (a) A school district shall provide to the parent of each district student at the beginning of each school year or on enrollment of the student after the beginning of a school year:
(1) a written explanation of the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g), regarding the release of directory information about the student; and
(2) written notice of the right of the parent to object to the release of directory information about the student under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g).
(b) The notice required by Subsection (a)(2) must contain:
(1) the following statement in boldface type that is 14-point or larger:
"Certain information about district students is considered directory information and will be released to anyone who follows the procedures for requesting the information unless the parent or guardian objects to the release of the directory information about the student. If you do not want [insert name of school district] to disclose directory information from your child's education records without your prior written consent, you must notify the district in writing by [insert date]. [Insert name of school district] has designated the following information as directory information: [Here a school district must include any directory information it chooses to designate as directory information for the district, such as a student's name, address, telephone listing, electronic mail address, photograph, degrees, honors and awards received, date and place of birth, major field of study, dates of attendance, grade level, most recent educational institution attended, and participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and the weight and height of members of athletic teams.]";
(2) a form, such as a check-off list or similar mechanism, that:
(A) immediately follows, on the same page or the next page, the statement required under Subdivision (1); and
(B) allows a parent to record:
(i) the parent's objection to the release of all directory information or one or more specific categories of directory information if district policy permits the parent to object to one or more specific categories of directory information;
(ii) the parent's objection to the release of a secondary student's name, address, and telephone number to a military recruiter or institution of higher education; and
(iii) the parent's consent to the release of one or more specific categories of directory information for a limited school-sponsored purpose if such purpose has been designated by the district and is specifically identified, such as for a student directory, student yearbook, or district publication; and
(3) a statement that federal law requires districts receiving assistance under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. Section 6301 et seq.) to provide a military recruiter or an institution of higher education, on request, with the name, address, and telephone number of a secondary student unless the parent has advised the district that the parent does not want the student's information disclosed without the parent's prior written consent.
(c) A school district may designate as directory information any or all information defined as directory information by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g). Directory information under that Act that is not designated by a district as directory information for that district is excepted from disclosure by the district under Chapter 552, Government Code.
(d) Directory information consented to by a parent for use only for a limited school-sponsored purpose, such as for a student directory, student yearbook, or school district publication, if any such purpose has been designated by the district, remains otherwise confidential and may not be released under Chapter 552, Government Code.
Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 687 (S.B. 256), Sec. 1, eff. June 17, 2005.Section: Previous 26.003 26.0031 26.004 26.005 26.006 26.007 26.008 26.0081 26.0082 26.0085 26.009 26.0091 26.010 26.011 26.012
Last modified: September 28, 2016