Sec. 393.201. FORM AND TERMS OF CONTRACT. (a) Each contract for the purchase of the services of a credit services organization by a consumer must be in writing, dated, and signed by the consumer.
(b) In addition to the notice required by Section 393.202, the contract must:
(1) contain the payment terms, including the total payments to be made by the consumer, whether to the organization or to another person;
(2) fully describe the services the organization is to perform for the consumer, including each guarantee and each promise of a full or partial refund and the estimated period for performing the services, not to exceed 180 days;
(3) contain the address of the organization's principal place of business; and
(4) contain the name and address of the organization's agent in this state authorized to receive service of process.
(c) A contract with a credit access business, as defined by Section 393.601, for the performance of services described by Section 393.602(a) must, in addition to the requirements of Subsection (b) and Section 393.302:
(1) contain a statement that there is no prepayment penalty;
(2) contain a statement that a credit access business must comply with Chapter 392 and the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. Section 1692 et seq.) with respect to an extension of consumer credit described by Section 393.602(a);
(3) contain a statement that a person may not threaten or pursue criminal charges against a consumer related to a check or other debit authorization provided by the consumer as security for a transaction in the absence of forgery, fraud, theft, or other criminal conduct;
(4) contain a statement that a credit access business must comply, to the extent applicable, with 10 U.S.C. Section 987 and any regulations adopted under that law with respect to an extension of consumer credit described by Section 393.602(a);
(5) disclose to the consumer:
(A) the lender from whom the extension of consumer credit is obtained;
(B) the interest paid or to be paid to the lender; and
(C) the specific fees that will be paid to the credit access business for the business's services; and
(6) the name and address of the Office of Consumer Credit Commissioner and the telephone number of the office's consumer helpline.
Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1008, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1302 (H.B. 2594), Sec. 1, eff. January 1, 2012.Section: Previous 393.003 393.101 393.102 393.103 393.104 393.105 393.106 393.201 393.202 393.203 393.204 393.221 393.222 393.223 393.224 Next
Last modified: September 28, 2016