Sec. 394.203. APPLICABILITY. (a) Except as otherwise provided by this subchapter, this subchapter applies to a provider regardless of whether the provider charges a fee or receives consideration for a service.
(b) The business of providing debt management services is conducted in this state if the debt management services provider solicits or contracts with consumers located in this state.
(c) This subchapter does not apply to:
(1) an attorney licensed to practice in this state, unless the attorney holds the attorney's self out to the public as a provider or is employed, affiliated with, or otherwise working on behalf of a provider;
(2) a title insurance or abstract company employee or agent, or other person legally authorized to engage in escrow business in the state, only while engaged in the escrow business;
(3) a judicial officer or person acting under a court order;
(4) a person who has legal authority under federal or state law to act as a representative payee for a consumer, only to the extent the person is paying bills or other debts on behalf of that consumer;
(5) a person who pays bills or other debts owed by a consumer and on behalf of a consumer, if the money used to make the payments belongs exclusively to the consumer and the person does not initiate any contact with individual creditors of the consumer to compromise a debt, arrange a new payment schedule, or otherwise change the terms of the debt; or
(6) a financial institution, as defined by Section 201.101.
(d) The following are not debt management services for purposes of this subchapter:
(1) an extension of credit, including consolidation or refinance of a loan; and
(2) bankruptcy services provided by an attorney licensed to practice in this state.
(e) This subchapter applies to a person who seeks to evade its applicability by any device, subterfuge, or pretense.
Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 336 (S.B. 1112), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2005.Section: Previous 394.001 394.201 394.202 394.203 394.204 394.205 394.206 394.207 394.208 394.209 394.2095 394.210 394.2101 394.211 394.212 Next
Last modified: September 28, 2016