Sec. 352.1033. USE OF REVENUE; COUNTIES BORDERING THE GULF OF MEXICO. (a) Subject to Subsection (c), the revenue from a tax imposed under this chapter by a county that borders the Gulf of Mexico authorized to impose the tax by Section 352.002(a)(6) may be used only to:
(1) clean public beaches;
(2) acquire, furnish, or maintain facilities, including parks, that enhance public access to beaches;
(3) provide and maintain public restrooms on or adjacent to beaches or beach access facilities;
(4) provide and maintain litter containers on or adjacent to beaches or beach access facilities;
(5) create, renovate, promote, and maintain parks adjacent to bays, rivers, and other navigable waterways if the county does not operate a public beach on the Gulf of Mexico;
(6) advertise and conduct solicitations and promotional programs to attract tourists and convention delegates or registrants to the county or its vicinity, any of which may be conducted by the county or through contracts with persons or organizations selected by the county;
(7) acquire a site for and construct, improve, enlarge, equip, repair, operate, and maintain a visitor information center; and
(8) encourage, promote, and improve historical preservation and restoration efforts.
(b) A county that borders the Gulf of Mexico and that is authorized to impose the tax by Section 352.002(a)(6) may use 50 percent or less of the revenue from the tax for the promotion of tourism.
(c) In addition to the uses allowed by Subsection (a), a county authorized to impose a tax under this chapter by Section 352.002(a)(6) that has a population of 50,000 or less and in which there is located at least one national wildlife refuge may use the revenue from the tax to:
(1) acquire, construct, furnish, or maintain facilities, such as aquariums, birding centers and viewing sites, history and art centers, and nature centers and trails;
(2) advertise and conduct solicitations and promotional programs to attract conventions and visitors; and
(3) provide and maintain public restrooms and litter containers on public land in an area that is a tourism venue.
(d) The limitation prescribed by Subsection (b) does not apply to the use of revenue from a tax imposed under this chapter by a county to which Subsection (c) applies.
Added by Acts 1991, 72nd Leg., 1st C.S., ch. 3, Sec. 7.05, eff. Sept. 1, 1991. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 503, Sec. 1, eff. Aug. 30, 1993; Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 643, Sec. 4, eff. Sept. 1, 1993; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 29.11, eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 284, Sec. 1, eff. May 26, 1997.
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 630 (S.B. 804), Sec. 1, eff. June 17, 2011.
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 981 (H.B. 4037), Sec. 3, eff. June 19, 2015.Section: Previous 352.008 352.101 352.1015 352.102 352.103 352.1031 352.1032 352.1033 352.1035 352.1036 352.1037 352.1038 352.1039 352.104 352.105 Next
Last modified: September 28, 2016