(2) The quadrennial quality of life review shall be designed to result in determinations, and to foster policies and actions, that reflect the priority given the quality of life of members of the armed forces as a primary concern of the Department of Defense leadership.
(1) to assess quality of life priorities and issues consistent with the most recent National Security Strategy prescribed by the President pursuant to section 108 of the National Security Act of 1947 (50 U.S.C. 404a); 1
(2) to identify actions that are needed in order to provide members of the armed forces with the quality of life reasonably necessary to encourage the successful execution of the full range of missions that the members are called on to perform under the national security strategy; and
(3) to identify other actions that have the potential for improving the quality of life of the members of the armed forces.
(2) Military construction.
(3) Physical conditions at military installations and other Department of Defense facilities.
(4) Budget plans.
(5) Adequacy of medical care for members of the armed forces and their dependents.
(6) Adequacy of housing and the basic allowance for housing and basic allowance for subsistence.
(7) Housing-related utility costs.
(8) Educational opportunities and costs.
(9) Length of deployments.
(10) Rates of pay and pay differentials between the pay of members and the pay of civilians.
(11) Retention and recruiting efforts.
(12) Workplace safety.
(13) Support services for spouses and children.
(14) Other elements of Department of Defense programs and Government policies and programs that affect the quality of life of members.
(A) The assumptions used in the review.
(B) The results of the review, including a comprehensive discussion of how the quality of life of members of the armed forces affects the national security strategy of the United States.
(2) The report shall be submitted in the year following the year in which the review is conducted, but not later than the date on which the President submits the budget for the next fiscal year to Congress under section 1105(a) of title 31.
(Added Pub. L. 107–314, div. A, title V, §581(a)(1), Dec. 2, 2002, 116 Stat. 2559.)
Last modified: October 26, 2015