As used in this chapter—
(3) The term "member" means any institution which has subscribed for the stock of a Federal Home Loan Bank.
(4) The term "home mortgage loan" means a loan made by a member upon the security of a home mortgage.
(5) The term "home mortgage" means a mortgage upon real estate, in fee simple, or on a leasehold (1) under a lease for not less than ninety-nine years which is renewable or (2) under a lease having a period of not less than fifty years to run from the date the mortgage was executed, upon which is located, or which comprises or includes, one or more homes or other dwelling units, all of which may be defined by the Director and shall include, in addition to first mortgages, such classes of first liens as are commonly given to secure advances on real estate by institutions authorized under this chapter to become members, under the laws of the State in which the real estate is located, together with the credit instruments, if any, secured thereby.
(6) The term "unpaid principal," when used in respect of a loan secured by a home mortgage means the principal thereof less the sum of (1) payments made on such principal, and (2) in cases where shares or stock are pledged as security for the loan, the payments made on such shares or stock plus earnings or dividends apportioned or credited thereon.
(7) An "amortized" or "installment" home mortgage loan shall, for the purposes of this chapter, be a home mortgage loan to be repaid or liquidated in not less than eight years by means of regular weekly, monthly, or quarterly payments made directly in reduction of the debt or upon stock or shares pledged as collateral for the repayment of such loan.
(A) an insured depository institution (as defined in section 3 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act [12 U.S.C. 1813]), and
(B) except as used in sections 1441a 1 and 1441b of this title, an insured credit union (as defined in section 1752 of this title).
(i) the deposits of which are insured under the Federal Deposit Insurance Act [12 U.S.C. 1811 et seq.]; and
(ii) that has, as of the date of the transaction at issue, less than $1,000,000,000 in average total assets, based on an average of total assets over the 3 years preceding that date.
(July 22, 1932, ch. 522, §2, 47 Stat. 725; June 27, 1934, ch. 847, §507, 48 Stat. 1264; May 28, 1935, ch. 150, §1, 49 Stat. 293; July 14, 1952, ch. 723, §10(c), 66 Stat. 604; Pub. L. 86–70, §9(a), June 25, 1959, 73 Stat. 142; Pub. L. 86–624, §5(a), July 12, 1960, 74 Stat. 411; Pub. L. 87–779, §2(a), Oct. 9, 1962, 76 Stat. 779; Pub. L. 101–73, title VII, §§701(a), 710(b)(1), Aug. 9, 1989, 103 Stat. 411, 418; Pub. L. 106–102, title VI, §602, Nov. 12, 1999, 113 Stat. 1450; Pub. L. 110–289, div. A, title II, §§1203, 1204(8), (10), 1211(a), July 30, 2008, 122 Stat. 2785, 2786, 2790.)
Last modified: October 26, 2015