(a) Whoever kills or attempts to kill a foreign official, official guest, or internationally protected person shall be punished as provided under sections 1111, 1112, and 1113 of this title.
(b) For the purposes of this section:
(1) "Family" includes (a) a spouse, parent, brother or sister, child, or person to whom the foreign official or internationally protected person stands in loco parentis, or (b) any other person living in his household and related to the foreign official or internationally protected person by blood or marriage.
(2) "Foreign government" means the government of a foreign country, irrespective of recognition by the United States.
(3) "Foreign official" means—
(A) a Chief of State or the political equivalent, President, Vice President, Prime Minister, Ambassador, Foreign Minister, or other officer of Cabinet rank or above of a foreign government or the chief executive officer of an international organization, or any person who has previously served in such capacity, and any member of his family, while in the United States; and
(B) any person of a foreign nationality who is duly notified to the United States as an officer or employee of a foreign government or international organization, and who is in the United States on official business, and any member of his family whose presence in the United States is in connection with the presence of such officer or employee.
(4) "Internationally protected person" means—
(A) a Chief of State or the political equivalent, head of government, or Foreign Minister whenever such person is in a country other than his own and any member of his family accompanying him; or
(B) any other representative, officer, employee, or agent of the United States Government, a foreign government, or international organization who at the time and place concerned is entitled pursuant to international law to special protection against attack upon his person, freedom, or dignity, and any member of his family then forming part of his household.
(5) "International organization" means a public international organization designated as such pursuant to section 1 of the International Organizations Immunities Act (22 U.S.C. 288) or a public organization created pursuant to treaty or other agreement under international law as an instrument through or by which two or more foreign governments engage in some aspect of their conduct of international affairs.
(6) "Official guest" means a citizen or national of a foreign country present in the United States as an official guest of the Government of the United States pursuant to designation as such by the Secretary of State.
(7) "National of the United States" has the meaning prescribed in section 101(a)(22) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(22)).
(c) If the victim of an offense under subsection (a) is an internationally protected person outside the United States, the United States may exercise jurisdiction over the offense if (1) the victim is a representative, officer, employee, or agent of the United States, (2) an offender is a national of the United States, or (3) an offender is afterwards found in the United States. As used in this subsection, the United States includes all areas under the jurisdiction of the United States including any of the places within the provisions of sections 5 and 7 of this title and section 46501(2) of title 49.
(d) In the course of enforcement of this section and any other sections prohibiting a conspiracy or attempt to violate this section, the Attorney General may request assistance from any Federal, State, or local agency, including the Army, Navy, and Air Force, any statute, rule, or regulation to the contrary notwithstanding.
(Added Pub. L. 92–539, title I, §101, Oct. 24, 1972, 86 Stat. 1071; amended Pub. L. 94–467, §2, Oct. 8, 1976, 90 Stat. 1997; Pub. L. 95–163, §17(b)(1), Nov. 9, 1977, 91 Stat. 1286; Pub. L. 95–504, §2(b), Oct. 24, 1978, 92 Stat. 1705; Pub. L. 97–351, §3, Oct. 18, 1982, 96 Stat. 1666; Pub. L. 103–272, §5(e)(2), July 5, 1994, 108 Stat. 1373; Pub. L. 103–322, title VI, §60003(a)(5), title XXXIII, §330006, Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 1969, 2142; Pub. L. 104–132, title VII, §721(c), Apr. 24, 1996, 110 Stat. 1298; Pub. L. 104–294, title VI, §601(g)(2), Oct. 11, 1996, 110 Stat. 3500.)
Last modified: October 26, 2015