(a) Whoever knowingly imports, exports, or attempts to import or export—
(1) any motor vehicle, off-highway mobile equipment, vessel, aircraft, or part of any motor vehicle, off-highway mobile equipment, vessel, or aircraft, knowing the same to have been stolen; or
(2) any motor vehicle or off-highway mobile equipment or part of any motor vehicle or off-highway mobile equipment, knowing that the identification number of such motor vehicle, equipment, or part has been removed, obliterated, tampered with, or altered;
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.
(b) Subsection (a)(2) shall not apply if the removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration—
(1) is caused by collision or fire; or
(2)(A) in the case of a motor vehicle, is not a violation of section 511 of this title (relating to altering or removing motor vehicle identification numbers); or
(B) in the case of off-highway mobile equipment, would not be a violation of section 511 of this title if such equipment were a motor vehicle.
(c) As used in this section, the term—
(1) "motor vehicle" has the meaning given that term in section 32101 of title 49;
(2) "off-highway mobile equipment" means any self-propelled agricultural equipment, self-propelled construction equipment, and self-propelled special use equipment, used or designed for running on land but not on rail or highway;
(3) "vessel" has the meaning given that term in section 401 of the Tariff Act of 1930 (19 U.S.C. 1401);
(4) "aircraft" has the meaning given that term in section 40102(a) of title 49; and
(5) "identification number"—
(A) in the case of a motor vehicle, has the meaning given that term in section 511 of this title; and
(B) in the case of any other vehicle or equipment covered by this section, means a number or symbol assigned to the vehicle or equipment, or part thereof, by the manufacturer primarily for the purpose of identifying such vehicle, equipment, or part.
(Added Pub. L. 98–547, title III, §301(a), Oct. 25, 1984, 98 Stat. 2771; amended Pub. L. 100–690, title VII, §7021, Nov. 18, 1988, 102 Stat. 4396; Pub. L. 102–519, title I, §102, Oct. 25, 1992, 106 Stat. 3385; Pub. L. 103–272, §5(e)(5), July 5, 1994, 108 Stat. 1374.)
Last modified: October 26, 2015