For purposes of this subchapter:
(1) The term "asbestos" means—
(A) chrysotile, amosite, or crocidolite; or
(B) in fibrous form, tremolite, anthophyllite, or actinolite.
(2) The term "Attorney General" means the Attorney General of the United States.
(3) The term "threat" or "hazard" means that an asbestos material is friable or easily damaged, or within reach of students or employees or otherwise susceptible to damage (including damage from water, vibration, or air circulation) which could result in the dispersal of asbestos fibers into the school environment.
(4) The term "local educational agency" means—
(A) any local educational agency as defined in section 7801 of this title; and
(B) the governing authority of any nonprofit elementary or secondary school.
(5) The term "nonprofit elementary or secondary school" means—
(A) any elementary or secondary school as defined in section 7801 of this title owned and operated by one or more nonprofit corporations or associations no part of the net earnings of which inures, or may lawfully inure, to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual; and
(B) any school of any agency of the United States.
(6) The term "school buildings" means—
(A) structures suitable for use as classrooms, laboratories, libraries, school eating facilities, or facilities used for the preparation of food;
(B) any gymnasium or other facility which is specially designed for athletic or recreational activities for an academic course in physical education;
(C) other facilities used for the instruction of students, for research, or for the administration of educational or research programs; and
(D) maintenance, storage, or utility facilities essential to the operation of the facilities described in subparagraphs (A) through (C) of this paragraph.
(7) The term "Administrator" means the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, or the Administrator's designee.
(8) The term "State" means each of the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the Virgin Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, and the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
(9) The term "response action" has the meaning given such term by section 2642(11) of title 15.
(Pub. L. 98–377, title V, §511, Aug. 11, 1984, 98 Stat. 1294; Pub. L. 101–637, §§10, 14(a)(11), (c)(6), Nov. 28, 1990, 104 Stat. 4592, 4594, 4596; Pub. L. 103–382, title III, §394(c), Oct. 20, 1994, 108 Stat. 4027; Pub. L. 107–110, title X, §1076(l)(2), Jan. 8, 2002, 115 Stat. 2092.)
Last modified: October 26, 2015