Not later than the ninetieth day following July 17, 1959, the Secretary of Defense shall prescribe and issue regulations to carry out the purposes of this chapter. Such regulations shall govern—
(1) the establishment of teaching positions;
(2) the fixing of basic compensation for teachers and teaching positions at rates equal to the average of the range of rates of basic compensation for similar positions of a comparable level of duties and responsibilities in urban school jurisdictions in the United States of 100,000 or more population;
(3) the entitlement of teachers to compensation;
(4) the payment of compensation to teachers;
(5) the appointment of teachers;
(6) the conditions of employment of teachers;
(7) the length of the school year or school years applicable to teaching positions;
(8) the leave system for teachers;
(9) quarters, allowances, and additional compensation for teachers; and
(10) such other matters as may be relevant and appropriate to the purposes of this chapter.
The regulations prescribed and issued by the Secretary of Defense under subsection (a) of this section shall become effective on such date as the Secretary of Defense shall prescribe but not later than the ninetieth day following the date of issuance of such regulations.
(Pub. L. 86–91, §4, July 17, 1959, 73 Stat. 214; Pub. L. 89–391, §1(a), Apr. 14, 1966, 80 Stat. 117.)
Last modified: October 26, 2015