(a) Before proceeding on a voyage, the owner, charterer, or managing operator, or a representative thereof, including the master or individual in charge, of a fishing vessel, fish processing vessel, or fish tender vessel shall make a fishing agreement in writing with each seaman employed on board if the vessel is—
(1) at least 20 gross tons as measured under section 14502 of this title, or an alternate tonnage measured under section 14302 of this title as prescribed by the Secretary under section 14104 of this title; and
(2) on a voyage from a port in the United States.
(b) The agreement shall—
(1) state the period of effectiveness of the agreement;
(2) include the terms of any wage, share, or other compensation arrangement peculiar to the fishery in which the vessel will be engaged during the period of the agreement; and
(3) include other agreed terms.
(Pub. L. 100–424, §6(a), Sept. 9, 1988, 102 Stat. 1591; Pub. L. 104–324, title VII, §739, Oct. 19, 1996, 110 Stat. 3942; Pub. L. 107–295, title IV, §441(a), (b), Nov. 25, 2002, 116 Stat. 2131.)
|Revised section||Source section (U.S. Code)|
Last modified: October 26, 2015