(a) A person shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both, if the person with the intent to defraud—
(1) provides false information to the Secretary of Transportation or a State issuing authority regarding the identification of a vessel under this chapter; or
(2) tampers with, removes, or falsifies the unique vessel identification number assigned to a vessel under section 12502 of this title.
(b) A person is liable to the United States Government for a civil penalty of not more than $10,000 if the person—
(1) provides false information to the Secretary or a State issuing authority regarding the identification of a vessel under this chapter;
(2) violates section 12502 of this title; or
(3) fails to comply with requirements prescribed by the Secretary under section 12505 of this title.
(c) A vessel involved in a violation of this chapter, or regulation under this chapter, and its equipment, may be seized by, and forfeited to, the Government.
(d) If a person, not an individual, is involved in a violation of this chapter, the president or chief executive of the person also is subject to any penalty provided under this section.
(Added Pub. L. 100–710, title I, §101(a), Nov. 23, 1988, 102 Stat. 4737.)
Last modified: October 26, 2015